Cronkite school hosts distinguished journalist for diversity speech

African-American journalist Gwen Ifill told students at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication that the issue of race in journalism has not been solved, and it is essential for the discussion about race to continue.

Ifill, who works as a moderator and managing editor for the PBS show “Washington Week" and a senior correspondent for “PBS NewsHour,” spoke to students as part of the school's Must See Monday series of lectures.

“Is the desire to get to a place of colorblindness simply an effort to get past a conversation we don’t want to have?” Ifill said in her speech. “I embrace diversity, because it is good and necessary for journalism, politics, society and general national health.”

Ifill has received 15 honorary university degrees, has moderated two vice-presidential debates and has worked for many prestigious publications including The New York Times and The Washington Post. She said she was challenged by racism early in her career and, though newsrooms have changed since that time, journalists still cannot be apathetic.

“We should expect and embrace change,” Ifill said. “Too often we sit in our newsroom complacently, and then we react. We get left behind. You have to change when the world changes."

Ifill said she was sought after as a young journalist because editors were searching for fresh voices in their newsrooms. She told a concerned student that newsrooms are still searching for those voices, and the future of journalism will be diverse.

“We have stories to tell, but much of our audience has stopped listening because they can tell we aren’t talking about them,” Ifill said. “That’s one reason for diversity. The best way to hear those stories is to hear the most voices as possible.”

The speech, titled “Diversity and Inclusion in the News” is part of ASU’s Diversity Scholar Series, which has annually hosted scholars, teachers and experts to discuss topics such as diversity and social justice with ASU students and staff since its inception in 2004.

The series is hosted by the ASU Office of Institutional Inclusion, which awards a college within ASU the Institutional Inclusion Award every year. The Cronkite school received the 2013 award and the responsibility of hosting a diversity scholar of its choosing.

Christopher Callahan, dean of the Cronkite school, said when he was presented with the choice of a scholar, Ifill was the obvious decision. Callahan said he worked alongside Ifill as reporters in Washington, D.C., and developed a lasting respect for her.

“She’s a fantastic journalist,” Callahan said. “She has a personable, powerful manner that is key to help understand (diversity).”

Every student in the Cronkite school is required to take a course in ethics and diversity, and Callahan said the inclusion of diverse viewpoints is crucial to produce quality journalism.

“To do that well and accurately, you have to report on all sides possible,” Callahan said. “You can’t do great journalism if you don’t do that.”

Journalism sophomore Patrick Wagner said Ifill stood out among the speakers usually hosted at the Cronkite school because of her ability to connect with the audience.

“I thought it was fantastic,” Wagner said. “She brought a real connection and was looking forward to answering questions from us. Diversity promotes us to all share our experiences.”

Reach the reporter at jwthrall@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter at @Jthrall1

×