Hunting Down Sweetness

Skinny Vanilla frozen yogurt with toppings of ever so good gummy bears and chopped peanuts satisfy a craving. 
Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie
Skinny Vanilla frozen yogurt with toppings of ever so good gummy bears and chopped peanuts satisfy a craving. Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

As a person who does not desire or long for candy, I find it very difficult to focus on the fact I need to center my attention on it.

There are hard, gummies, slimy, sticky and even root beer candies that just the thought of the endless possibilities is overwhelming.

Searching for anything associated with candy down to gross dried chewing gums under tables and wrappers stuffed in unusual places was difficult to find. Why can’t I seem to find people who eat candy?

Instead, I hunt down the deliciousness and indulge in the wonders of candy land by asking students what reminds them of candy.

For some, simple objects such as flavored lip-gloss remind students of candy. Marbles also remind a person of the colorful coated hard candies for no particular reason. Similarly, theme parks that reek of cotton candy and curly fries – you know the kind of sweet tastiness unhealthy for us? --  definitely reminds a person of candy. Like theme parks, theaters also carry the constant reminder of sugar and butter.

Jaw breaker size marbles showing off their beauty. Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie Jaw breaker size marbles showing off their beauty. Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

Theaters are a great reminder of candy. Here, a group of students circle around to talk (possibly) of which flavor to pick.  Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie Theaters are a great reminder of candy. Here, a group of students circle around to talk (possibly) of which flavor to pick.
Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

Holidays present a time to take advantage of eating as much as one pleases, particularly during Halloween. In fact, no one will judge you. I don’t know if anyone ever does judge a person for eating candy (maybe).

Halloween is the obvious choice when thinking about candy. Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie Halloween is the obvious choice when thinking about candy.
Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

For others, who took the question in a different way, candy would spark a sheer thought of a person or a nostalgic memory of childhood.

Whether it’s hard and round or square and squishy, candy has the power to ignite memories of greater times.

After searching for answers, anything vivid enough to catch my attention makes my brain think of sugary goodness.

Suddenly, I start to crave ice cream. I want to feel the stingy coldness thaw on my tongue. First, I look around to see if anything can satisfy this desire. Nope. Secondly, I look in the fridge to find an old cup of salted caramel truffle ice cream. No, that belongs to my roommate. Disappointed, I close the freezer door and glance at some leftover candy scavenged throughout the year. Definitely no. This meant going out to eat “fresh” frozen yogurt nearby.

The only sweetness that seems to occupy the freezer. Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie The only sweetness occupying the freezer.
Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

Old aged sweetness wait to be eaten by...anybody. Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie Sweetness waits to be eaten by...anybody.
Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

Skinny Vanilla frozen yogurt with toppings of ever so good gummy bears and chopped peanuts satisfy a craving.  Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie Skinny vanilla frozen yogurt with toppings of ever-so-good gummy bears and chopped peanuts satisfy a craving.
Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

I’ve come to realize once you start to think of something repeatedly it starts to stick in your head like the annoying, yet savoring stickiness of ice cream.

These edible delicious gum balls resemble its cousin marbles, so much.  Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie These edible delicious gum balls resemble its cousin marbles.
Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

Dozens of candy bags are displayed with their bursting colors it is enough to grab attention. Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie Dozens of candy bags are displayed with bursting colors to grab attention.
Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

Apples blanketed with different flavors are put out to challenge a temptation.  Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie Apples blanketed with different flavors are put out to challenge a temptation.
Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

In the end, nothing is more satisfying than a pack of Twizzlers.

A bag of twizzler has snuck into a backpack. Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie A bag of Twizzlers has snuck into a backpack.
Photo by Pauletta Tohonnie

Reach the photographer at ptohonni@asu.edu or via Twitter @purplekittehbum

×