In the wake of the Boston Marathon explosions Monday, the 9th Annual Pat’s Run will still go on as scheduled on Saturday with enhanced security.

The Pat Tillman Foundation released a statement in a press release Monday addressing safety concerns for the race.

“The Pat Tillman Foundation is closely monitoring the tragic events that occurred today at the Boston Marathon. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families in the wake of this horrific incident. As we move forward for the 9th Annual Pat’s Run, the Tillman Foundation is working closely with the city of Tempe and Tempe Police, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Police Department and additional security to ensure the safety of all our runners and supporters on the ground this weekend. Increased security measures are being put into place as we move forward with the race.”

ASU also released a similar statement Monday.

“The Arizona State University Police Department is reviewing events in Boston today and working with the Tempe Police Department, federal intelligence agencies and other previously hired security to make sure all of our participants are safe,” ASU spokeswoman Julie Newberg said in the release. “Today, we join others in thinking about those in Boston.”

Over 35,000 participants, volunteers and spectators are expected to be in attendance for Saturday’s event.

Tempe Police Sgt. Michael Pooley said ASU and Tempe Police departments are working with the FBI throughout the week for any intelligence updates.

Pooley said Monday's bombing attacks are another reason why law enforcement all over the country are forced to alter procedures.

"Today was another day law enforcement will change its methods of things."

There will be no changes to the race or runner registrations, Pooley said.

He said the department is waiting to see everything that happened in Boston before making any changes to future events around Tempe.

Pooley said the department does not expect attendance to decrease.

"(The department is) hoping it increases," Pooley said. "We're hoping that the community can come together."

Reach the reporters at jnacion@asu.edu and sraymund@asu.edu or follow them on Twitter @josh_nacion and @ShawnFVRaymundo

×