Police: Five ASU students injured in fight at apartment complex

The students lived at an apartment complex occupied by members of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police arrested four people on suspicion of seriously assaulting five ASU students early Sunday morning.

Tempe Police Sgt. Michael Pooley said the five students, all of whom were transported to the hospital, were residents of an apartment complex that is occupied by the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity at 1925 E. Hayden Lane.

A high school senior came to the complex on her prom night, Pooley said. A fight broke out when her boyfriend and another man arrived to take her home, he said.

During this fight, one ASU student sustained a serious head injury, and his friends transported him to the hospital, Pooley said.

Nobody contacted police after this initial fight, he said.

The two men left soon after, yelling that they would return with more people and weapons, Pooley said.

One of the men returned about 30 minutes later with four other people, he said. They began hitting residents of the complex with bats, according to police.

Four other students were injured; one with a head injury, one with a laceration to his eye and two others with minor injuries. All were taken to the hospital, Pooley said.

“They may have been victims in the beginning when the first incident happened, but they very quickly turned from a victim into a suspect, and a suspect in a very serious crime,” he said. “We’re lucky that no one was killed.”

Before leaving, two of the subjects fired shots in the air, Pooley said. A Tempe Police patrol sergeant in the area heard the shots and stopped a vehicle that was leaving at high speed, according to police.

Other officers responded and apprehended four suspects who have since been charged with various offenses, Pooley said.

Police arrested 19-year-old Isaiah Everett, 18-year-old Zach Rezendes, 19-year-old Clarissa Casillas and 19-year-old Michael Reyes, police reported. None of them are ASU students, Pooley said.

Police are still investigating the incidents and going over surveillance tape from the complex, he said. More arrests are possible.

UPDATE: Tempe Police arrested 20-year-old Caleb Everett on Sunday night. No other information was available as of Monday morning.

Reach the news editor at julia.shumway@asu.edu or follow @JMShumway on Twitter.

×