Learning in April

Almost Time
Photo by Perla Farias
Almost Time Photo by Perla Farias

Funky. That’s my word for the month of April.

I had a funky mood, a funky non-creative vibe, funky lack of motivation, etc. etc.

[caption id="attachment_115044" align="aligncenter" width="610"]In Between Time Photo by Perla Farias In Between Time
Photo by Perla Farias[/caption]

So with the funkiness, I had a lot of learning.

[caption id="attachment_115038" align="aligncenter" width="610"]Taking a Moment Photo by Perla Farias Taking a Moment
Photo by Perla Farias[/caption]

I felt the shift in my energy and my vibes last month as I felt like I was transforming, that I just knew this month would be about creating.

I had so many ideas in mind, yet…they just didn’t pan out. Whether because of lack of time or preparation, things just turn out like I planned. When I did try, I had many failed attempts. Quite the paradox.

[caption id="attachment_115037" align="aligncenter" width="610"]Too Late Photo by Perla Farias Too Late
Photo by Perla Farias[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_115032" align="aligncenter" width="610"]They Got Away They Got Away[/caption]

After missing a few self-portraits and then making them up on different days, I slowly started feeling my photography-vibe again. I felt the slight vibration of artistic pleasure. I knew I was ready for more.

[caption id="attachment_115035" align="aligncenter" width="610"]Mujer in Busqueda Photo by Perla Farias Mujer in Busqueda
Photo by Perla Farias[/caption]

But out of nowhere, the creativity just stopped.

[caption id="attachment_115047" align="aligncenter" width="610"]Forced to Pause Photo by Perla Farias Forced to Pause
Photo by Perla Farias[/caption]

I’d been feeling better about life, but I had no creative juices flowing through me.

[caption id="attachment_115043" align="aligncenter" width="610"]Making Some Effort Photo by Perla Farias Making Some Effort
Photo by Perla Farias[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_115034" align="aligncenter" width="610"]Color to Inspire Photo by Perla Farias Color to Inspire
Photo by Perla Farias[/caption]

Apparently, Adele goes through the same thing. She says she can only write songs when she’s depressed or enduring a heartbreak, not when she’s in love.

But the thing is, I want to be able to be creative when I’m happy and in love, as well. I don’t want crisis to happen to me to jump start my artistic energy.

[caption id="attachment_115039" align="aligncenter" width="610"]Love is in the [H]air Photo by Perla Farias Love is in the [H]air
Photo by Perla Farias[/caption]

All I could do is take it day by day and that is definitely something good for me to learn as I’m graduating in about two weeks.

Almost Time Photo by Perla Farias Almost Time
Photo by Perla Farias

I can’t go out into the world expecting that every day is going to be successful. As long as I give it my all and stay in the present moment, it’s easier to deal with the fact that not every day is going to be a great day.

Bokeh into the Night Photo by Perla Farias Bokeh into the Night
Photo by Perla Farias

Some things in life aren’t really as big as they seem. Life will move on, and we’ll have a lot of good and bad to reflect on.

Connecting with Loved Ones Photo by Perla Farias Connecting with Loved Ones
Photo by Perla Farias

Avoiding Caudros Photo by Perla Farias Avoiding Caudros
Photo by Perla Farias

These are the things that make life worth living. These are the moments that help us grow. I’ve realized that although this was probably one of the most depressing semesters of my college career, it’s also been one of the most reflective.

Re-energizing  Photo by Perla Farias Re-energizing
Photo by Perla Farias

Double Exposure Photo by Perla Farias Double Exposure
Photo by Perla Farias

I’ve grown so much.

A Break to Soak in the Sun's Energy Photo by Perla Farias A Break to Soak in the Sun's Energy
Photo by Perla Farias

Quick One in the Midst of Work Photo by Perla Farias Quick One in the Midst of Work
Photo by Perla Farias

And although I don’t feel fully prepared to take on the world, I really do feel like I’m graduating with some wisdom. I know that wherever I end up, I will continue to grow. Even though the growing pains can seem unbearable sometimes, we have to go through them.

Walking Toward the Sun Photo by Perla Farias Walking Toward the Sun
Photo by Perla Farias

Looking Ahead Photo by Perla Farias Looking Ahead
Photo by Perla Farias

We don’t want to be stagnant beings. Stagnant water gets murky and provides no space for new life. We’re living human beings, we have to continue to change and move like a river.

Smiles in the Fields Photo by Perla Farias Smiles in the Fields
Photo by Perla Farias

Immerse into the Spring Photo by Perla Farias Immerse into the Spring
Photo by Perla Farias

Yoga in the Desert Photo by Perla Farias Yoga in the Desert
Photo by Perla Farias

So when it comes to feeling unproductive or lacking creativity, all I can do is do my best, let go of my emotions, and let life take me where it’s bound to and take it all with grace.

Take Me Away Photo by Perla Farias Take Me Away
Photo by Perla Farias

Reach the photographer at pfarias@asu.edu or via Twitter @farias_perla

×