Letter: STEADY Act will prevent Stafford rate from rising

As Congress on the whole continues to do practically nothing, our own 9th District Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema has dramatically proven herself to be an inspirational legislative exception.

Today’s college students, along with their families, face formidable financial obstacles in their pursuit of higher education. In attempt to ease this burden on families, Ms. Sinema introduced the Stability to Ensure the American Dream for Youth Act. The STEADY Act will maintain the Stafford student loan interest rate at 3.4 percent. If Congress fails to act, this important loan program is set to double to 6.8 percent on July 1.

As a professional who now works with computers and accounting, I was able to earn my way through college by working construction and taking evening college courses. It was not easy, but it was affordable. Increasingly for today’s students, this is not the case.

For the sake of today’s students, Congresswoman Sinema’s STEADY Act deserves bipartisan support. It would be unwise for Congress not to act on this issue.

Unfortunately, failing to act on paramount issues is about the only thing that the current congressional majority leadership is adept at.

Mario Martinez

Alumni 2004

×