Five things to watch at ASU's fall football camp

It’s finally here.

Tuesday kicks off ASU’s fall football practices, which will consist of several two-a-days that’ll have separate sessions for newcomers and returning players.

Every football team typically enters the fall with many questions from spring camp left unanswered and ASU is no different. Here are some things to watch for as the Sun Devils put back on their helmets and pads in preparation for their Sept. 5 season opener:

- The receiving corps — The wide receiver position was undoubtedly ASU’s biggest question on offense during spring camp but receivers coach DelVaughn Alexander is optimistic about his unit. Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Jaelen Strong, a transfer from Pierce College (Calif.) was a huge pickup for ASU in last year’s recruiting class and should add quickness to the offense. Redshirt junior tight end De’Marieya Nelson was another key JUCO signing and will immediately compete for playing time at the H-back position against redshirt senior tight end Chris Coyle and senior tight end Darwin Rogers, a stand out during spring practice. Will the reinforcements be enough to completely balance an offense that already features an efficient quarterback and a potent running game?

- The backup quarterback situation — Redshirt junior quarterback Taylor Kelly has the starting role locked up, but who is the No. 2 signal caller and how much playing time will he get? Mike Bercovici returns after redshirting his sophomore year and ASU coach Todd Graham praised his performance during spring camp. However, Graham told azcentral.com’s Doug Haller during Pac-12 Media Day that the Sun Devils may still use redshirt sophomore Michael Eubank in certain situations but it’s unknown how many plays he’ll see. Either way, expect the position battle to brew on throughout fall practice and possibly a definite answer on both questions before the first game.

- Injuries — They’ve always hampered ASU in the offseason in the past but will the Sun Devils open the season without any major injuries? Several players were sidelined at some point in the spring, including freshman linebacker Chans Cox, senior wide receiver Kyle Middlebrooks and redshirt senior running back Deantre Lewis. Keeping everyone healthy would be key, especially for the Sun Devils to get through the four-game stretch at the beginning of the season that features Wisconsin, Stanford, USC and Notre Dame.

- Battles at linebacker spots — Despite already boasting one of the best front-sevens in the Pac-12, starters for two of its four linebacker positions in the 3-4 scheme still must be named. Redshirt junior Carl Bradford has the devilbacker position locked up and senior Steffon Martin will more than likely start at the Sam spot, leaving the Spur and Will positions open. Fighting for the Spur spot are senior Chris Young and redshirt senior Anthony Jones. The Will position is a three-man battle between Young, redshirt senior Grandville Taylor and redshirt freshman Carlos Mendoza, though Graham said at ASU’s mini media day Friday Young will likely replace Brandon Magee's spot this season.

- Adjustment to new limit on full-contact practices — How will ASU adjust to the new Pac-12 guideline stating that teams can hold only two full-contact practices per week? Graham’s spring practices typically ended with a quick scrimmage that focused on certain game situations. It shouldn’t change much of the Sun Devils’ preparation but it’s an interesting note to follow throughout the entire Pac-12.

Expect these questions to be addressed in our post-practice notebooks over the next couple weeks.

Reach the reporter at jnacion@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Josh_Nacion

×