Haack, Gonzalez stand out at ASU's first football practice

ASU's first fall football practice Tuesday morning was reserved for the team's veterans, but two freshmen weren't constrained to the sideline.

Punter Matt Haack and kicker Zane Gonzalez immediately joined the veterans at the start of camp and their performances were enough to excite ASU coach Todd Graham.

"I don't think (Zane) missed a field goal today, so he was very impressive," Graham said. "Matt's got a big-time leg. That left foot's has a wicked punt that's hard to field. (Special teams coordinator Joe) Lorig did a tremendous job recruiting those guys and we have really good talent to work with.

"I like their confidence and their maturity level," he added.

Gonzalez joins the team in a three-man competition for the starting placekicker job against redshirt junior kickers Alex Garoutte and Jon Mora. Gonzalez was 10-for-10 on field goals in his senior year at Deer Park High School in Texas and converted all of his extra point attempts.

Despite Gonzalez's success, Graham said he likes Garoutte and Mora's progress and added that Garoutte was impressive in practice as well.

Haack is expected to replace Josh Hubner at punter and Graham likes Haack because he is left-footed, which Graham learned by experience makes a noticeable difference on special teams.

In his playing days as a kick returner, Graham said he fumbled two returns in the same game because of the ball's spin from a left-footed punter.

"It does have a different spin to it and it's tough to handle," Graham said. "They tend to pull the ball across their body and the ball will tail to the right. Everything about is different. I was trying to coach him the other day and it was confusing me. I've never had a (left-footed punter) so that's an advantage."

Graham said Haack can punt with his right foot as well, but his versatility doesn't end there.

Not only did Haack boot punts, he also joined the wide receivers and participated in several ball security drills. Haack played wide receiver and running back in addition to kicking and punting duties at Dowling High School in Iowa and once ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds.

"I got a few reps, trying to get my feet wet and everything so I'm trying to learn the offense," Haack said.

But despite his versatility, don't expect Haack to line up on offense in an actual game soon.

"That'll be a little harder transition for me to get up to the speed of the game and everything, but it was fun," he said.

Notes

- Redshirt sophomore Mo Latu is officially listed as a defensive tackle after playing on the offensive line last season and will practice with the newcomers Tuesday evening.

- Senior wide receiver Kyle Middlebrooks, who has been battling a knee injury since last year, participated in team drills Tuesday but still wore a green no-contact jersey and a heavy brace on his right knee.

- Redshirt junior running back Deantre Lewis fully practiced and had a few reps with the first-team offense. Lewis missed the 2011 season due to a gunshot injury and dealt with minor injuries during spring camp.

Reach the reporter at jnacion@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Josh_Nacion

×