Newlin's 3 a.m. Diary: Surviving the first week

If your first week of classes was anything like mine, let’s both let out a collective sigh of relief at making it through alive (just barely).I’m the furthest thing from a morning person, so I can’t really figure out why I signed up for four straight days of early classes in my senior year. Despite my schedule I still can’t manage to get to bed before midnight, thus leading to this blog, my 3 a.m. diary. I can also thank my assistant editor and multimedia editor for urging me to write down my musings from the week in a post (for some reason they think my ramblings are interesting).

IMG_4015.jpg

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Newlin and I am a senior journalism student who is also attempting to run the State Press Magazine as editor-in-chief. I am from the tiniest state in the country, also known as Rhode Island. No, it is not an island and I can’t tell you how many times people have asked me, “What part of Long Island, New York is that?” That question actually makes me sad. When I am not spending time in class or in the newsroom, I can usually be found napping or running. In the weeks before coming back to school I usually logged about four miles a day, but thanks to the ungodly desert temperatures I have been forced onto treadmills.

Every semester my roommate and I talk about how we might actually have an easy schedule. This is what I foolishly suspected this year and was proved wrong on the second day of classes when I was assigned to write a 750-word profile story that was due a day later. On top of that I had homework in every class and several mini crises with the magazine. Is anyone else besides me already counting down the days until winter break? All complaints aside, I actually do enjoy being extremely busy. Whenever I find a day without any obligations I wander around my apartment aimlessly until I start assigning myself tasks. Like most journalists, I thrive on deadlines.

Screen shot 2013-08-29 at 6.33.59 PM.png Last fall I went to London and loved every second of it.

Now, I’d like to give you some insight on the coming semester and all the magazine’s plans. We have a staff of characters and they’ve already begun to deliver some great stories. I am very fortunate to be working with many passionate writers, photographers and videographers. When I am able to transform those passions into stories that get my readers thinking, then my greatest goal as an editor will be achieved. Thanks for reading and good luck with your second week of classes, may it be gentler than the first.

Reach me at newlin.tillotson@asu.edu or follow me on Twitter @Newlin777

×