'Under the Dome' exceeds expectations as summer show, set for second season

Many TV shows these days fall through the cracks and lose viewers, especially in the summer months. However, this has not been the case with CBS’s smash hit “Under the Dome.”

The show gained a lot of preseason publicity, and as it enters its final episodes of the pilot season, the show has gained an even larger fan base that is officially sending it into a second season. “Under the Dome” has become a huge success, because the plot progression keeps every viewer at the edge of their seats.

In the small town of Chester’s Mill, the townspeople were just average Americans with jobs, families and a respect for morality until a large, transparent dome appeared and cut off the entire town from civilization. People could see in, the townspeople could see out, but they could not leave the town limits.

The citizens were left without Internet access and cell phone reception and had limited radio communication, food and medicinal supplies. Suddenly citizens were trapped as their days became limited within the enigmatic dome. The people of Chester’s Mill were then tested not only to survive, but also to determine what the dome was and why it was placed over their quiet, unsuspecting town.

From the pilot to the last episodes of the season, all of the characters in "Under the Dome" have morphed from normal, everyday people and developed primitive mindsets where they will do anything to get what they need for themselves and their families, including mercilessly taking the life of another. Over time, the dome creates a "fishbowl effect" among the people of Chester's Mill, which looks to be the premise for the duration of the series.

“Under the Dome,” produced by Stephen King, is based on his novel of the same name. With King’s influence and his love for priceless horror moments and drama, the show delivers intense scenes that have not disappointed viewers and it's likely there's much more to come.

From the direction that the first season has taken, speculations can be made concerning the approach "Under the Dome" writers will take for the impending season. With the characters going through so much, a foundation has been created to demonstrate the complexities of human nature, as well as how primal instincts take over in do-or-die situations. “Under the Dome” is certainly worth watching and, depending on the viewer, may be quite addictive. The season finale airs Sept. 16 on CBS.

Reach this reporter at Alexa.Dangelo@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @alexa_dangelo

×