The Undergraduate Student Government held a meeting Tuesday to discuss appropriation of funds for the eight colleges located on the Tempe campus resulting in the passing of Senate Bill 27 or College Council Funding Bill.

SB 27 covered the appropriation of $30,000 to Tempe campus colleges for events.

Discussions became heated as senators argued over the amount of funds the colleges were to receive. The appropriations committee argued different colleges needed different funds and with the varying number of students in each college the money was going to fluctuate.

Dan Ashlock, director of Associated Students, intervened multiple times to keep the Senate in their legal boundaries while discussing the appropriation of funds.

"If you give money to one council, you have to give the same amount to any that asked for funds for a similar reason," he said.

Sen. Devon Mills, a justice studies senior, argued against the notion of every college receiving the funds it needs.

"Not everyone can get what they want," Mills said. "That's the problem with appropriations, and that's just the reality of it."

After the long debate and two recesses, Senate President Alexis Gonzalez, a secondary education and political science senior, called for a vote on Senate Bill 27 which passed with a large majority.

The bill now goes to USG President Jordan Davis for his signature or veto.

The next USG meeting will be held Tuesday, Sept. 24, in the Memorial Union.

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or on Twitter @joey_hancock.

×