Devil Dish: Defending Todd Graham ... sort of

On the opening drive of ASU’s 32-30 victory over Wisconsin on Saturday night, coach Todd Graham faced a 4th-and-two on the Wisconsin 3-yard line. He decided to go for it, and failed.

He was faced with a similar situation two more times in the game. After two touchdowns, ASU attempted a two-point conversion and failed both times.

I have no problem with those gutsy calls. While some argue it is taking almost sure points off the board, I applaud the aggressiveness and hope nothing changes.

Well, I hope one thing changes.

All three of those plays were pass plays. Run the ball.

Wisconsin saw all three of those attempts transpire, and when it was the Badgers’ turn to try a two-point conversion, they inexplicably went to the air to try to score the two points. Run the ball.

For the Sun Devils, they possess an offense so versatile that there is no reason to throw when they can hand it to Grice, or hand it to Foster, or run the option with Kelly, or run a quarterback draw, or bring in Eubank or run an end-around. Do something, just don’t pass it.

Run the ball.

Reach the columnist at justin.emerson@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @J15Emerson

×