Farquharson’s two goals lift ASU soccer to victory

It was just another game for sophomore forward Cali Farquharson, but opposing defenses are quickly learning the difficulties of guarding her.

Farquharson scored two goals in ASU’s 3-1 victory over Stephen F. Austin State University, and has now scored a goal in six consecutive games, dating back to the 2012 season.

Coach Kevin Boyd said Farquharson should have actually had four goals in the game.

“It’s great that she’s finishing her chances,” Boyd said. “She’s giving herself a really good spot and she’s dangerous at all moments.”

ASU (2-1) took down SFA (2-1-1), who hadn’t lost at home since 2010, by attacking and applying pressure.

ASU’s first goal came when senior midfielder Holland Crook made a long pass to Farquharson out on the left flank. Farquharson buried the shot in the far side of the net, giving ASU their first lead 20 minutes into the game.

Farquharson said she thought SFA did a good job defending her, but she was still able to break loose with two goals and two other near-goals.

“I had a lot of opportunities but I just didn’t finish the other ones,” Farquharson said.

SFA hung around for most of the game with a one-goal deficit and, early in the second half, the Ladyjacks had some of their most dangerous opportunities.

SFA took half of their 12 shots in the game in the first 20 minutes of the second half. Redshirt sophomore goalie Chandler Morris held her ground though, making two saves and totaling four for the game.

Near the end of the game, SFA put more players up front, which allowed the Sun Devils to add to their lead because of SFA’s much softer defense.

Redshirt freshman forward Lucy Lara made a crafty pass to senior forward Devin Marshall, isolating her with the Ladyjacks' final defender. Marshall beat the last defender 1-on-1, going around her to the right and putting the ball in the net.

“We’ve been expecting and waiting for that,” Boyd said of Marshall’s first goal of the season. “A minute before she scored I looked out to her and said, ‘Hey, you need to go get your goal. You’re due, let’s get your goal now.’”

With five minutes remaining, Farquharson scored her second goal of the game, and fourth of the season. She had her initial shot blocked, but recovered the ball and scored.

SFA forward Zuri Prince prevented a shutout by scoring the team's lone goal from straightaway, well beyond the penalty box, with 23 seconds remaining.

Prince placed the shot in the left corner post and in the net, outside the reach of Morris.

“Until that moment I thought she (Morris) did really well,” Boyd said. “I’m not blaming her for the goal going in because the girl had a ball go off the far post and in. It’s hard to stop that. What I’m blaming for is what led up to that situation. She had a pass back that she cleared down the middle of the field short, right to the (opponent).”

Reach the reporter at Justin.Janssen@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @jjanssen11

Correction: An earlier version of this story stated that SFASU hadn't lost at home since 2009.

×