Literally Speaking: A Haven in Goodreads

September 30, 2013 | 9:01am MST

When I power on my computer every day, there are a select handful of websites I visit immediately. I pull up Google Chrome at the bottom left corner of my computer screen and open maybe two or three tabs to start out.

First, I open my email inbox. You never know when you'll get a blackboard announcement that says the deadline was extended for the report you stayed up until two in the morning completing. Maybe class was cancelled for the day, or the bank is letting you know that your online statement is ready. Those bank emails, I skip because who wants to relive those shameful moments of spending your last few dollars on Reese's and the new Song of Ice and Fire book instead of a healthy lunch.

Anyway, after I check my email, I log into my frequented social media sites on the other tabs. Facebook, Twitter... Goodreads.

My fellow bibliophiles, if you didn't know already, this site is for you. Goodreads is a database of books where you can rate books you've read, recommend books to your friends, create a wish list, and read reviews-- and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

When opening up the site, you're greeted by a friendly bookshelf border and your friends' most recent reads. It keeps track of books you've read and reviewed, and recommends books based on genres you continue to read.

Beyond all of that awesomeness, if you're feeling creative, they have a community of creative writers that share their stories in a fanfiction-esque fashion. You get some great feedback from people who enjoy reading new talent. And if you need something to do and are feeling bookish, you can search for book and author events on this site.

Admittedly, I don't always review or rate books on my Goodreads account. I am drawn to books that my friends have read and recommend. The reviews for books on the site are invaluable and rival Amazon book reviews.

If you're looking for a place to share your love of books, I definitely think Goodreads is the place.

Find me on Goodreads here, and you can contact me on Twitter @marie_eo or through email at arabusa@asu.edu!

×