I have something to confess: Up until about a year ago, I got my news from "The Colbert Report."

Most of my generation can identify. Let’s face it, we aren’t the C-SPAN watching-type. We like our news as entertainment. So our options are "The Daily Show," "The Colbert Report" and maybe the "Saturday Night Live" Weekend Update segment.

This brings me to my next topic. Meghan McCain has a TV show, and it’s really good.

Let me preface by saying I am not a big Meghan McCain fan. I didn’t understand why she kept labeling herself as the new face of the Republican party when her only involvement in the party was sitting on her dad’s campaign bus. Her political expertise consists solely of her last name.

Yes, we get it, Meghan. Your father is a senator, and he ran for president. He didn’t win, and he’s really old. Move on. I also found the titles of her books off-putting — "America You Sexy Bitch" or "Dirty Sexy Politics." Um, no thank you. Not what I want to have open when I am sitting in the airport.

Meghan has never really piqued my interest until now.

Last night, I decided to check out her new TV show, "Raising McCain."

I wasn’t expecting anything Emmy-worthy. In fact, my expectations were quite low. I never thought I would instantly become hooked, or that I would re-watch the same episode three times.

Suddenly, all of my past feelings about Meghan went out the window. Give me a bumper sticker, because I am officially a fan.

Everything about her show is different. From the network, Pivot, which allows you to watch the show online in real time (no more waiting one day for your favorite show to be up on Hulu) to her relaxed demeanor. The overall environment is wonderful.

Interviews are on the street and conversations take place in the back of a cab. Guests are Skyped in. The audience sees the set in between takes and the crew working behind the scenes. The overall ambiance is fresh and exciting.

The content is brilliant, and Meghan tackles real world issues in a fun and informative way. She begins the pilot episode about online privacy by stating at the beginning of the episode that she believes privacy doesn’t exist anymore, and she doesn’t care. As long as you are not posting stupid things on the internet, privacy doesn’t really matter, right?

However, we quickly learn that it does matter how we share things. We find out that using the location-based settings on Twitter just once from your home can allow anyone to look up where you live. For the price of $30, you can hire someone to hack into a Gmail account. Employers can see where you check in on Facebook and Foursquare. The results of her investigation are absolutely chilling.

Her show truly is genre-breaking. It is informative and hilarious — great entertainment on par with "Keeping Up With The Kardashians."

Meghan is a relatable, no-bullsh-t type of girl, with a certain je ne sais quoi about her that instantly makes you respect and like her. Perhaps it’s the "Maverick" gene in her. She takes no prisoners and is not afraid to hold back. She speaks her mind, which is often laced with profanity.

She is a refreshing breath of fresh air in both politics and television.

Meghan is not the new face of the Republican Party. She represents so much more than a political ideology. Any young senator can call herself the new face of the party.

Meghan is different. She represents the growing voice of young people who want to do the best they can with the hand they were dealt, a new generation of movers and shakers trying to make this world a better place. She is so much more than a young, blonde Republican.

Reach the columnist at abennin1@asu.edu or follow her at @annicabenning

×