Sparky's Quill: The B. B. Moeur Building

1376629_10201906468959944_1913383213_n The B.B. Moeur Activity Building. Photo by Holly Solis.

Located on the corner of Orange and Forest Malls is a red adobe building called Moeur. This building was a part of a larger plan to really grow the ASU campus in the 30s. Spearheaded by President Grady Gammage, this new Campus Building Program would include many projects such as: obtaining ten acres adjoining the school, constructing a woman's physical education building, a new wing on the library, a remodel for Old Main, street paving, installing new boilers in classroom buildings, two new dorms, a swimming pool, and a 500-seat athletic stadium. It took some explaining to the school board, but to everyone's surprise, they accepted the proposal on the terms that Gammage would spread the work out and apply for Works Projects Administration (WPA) loans in order to pay for it all. Gammage made the announcement of the approval to the school from the steps of his home on the corner of what is now Palm Walk and Tyler Mall.

One of the first projects to get underway was the construction of a new Activity Building. But what to name it? Gammage and the school board decided to name it after a doctor that had taken care of the people of Tempe since its birth. Thus, the building would be called the B.B. Moeur Activity Building. Though the building is easily missed when walking quickly to class, when you stop to really take a look at it, it’s rather charming. It has a large entrance and smooth, rounded corners making it extremely welcoming. The small details in the brick design on top really give it character. What is the most incredible thing about this building is that Gammage was only able to secure a small amount of WPA loans for the project. Not only did Tempe citizens pitch in their own money through financial gifts, but also volunteered their labor free of charge in order to finish the building.

The B.B. Moeur Building now houses a really awesome Mars Space Flight Facility and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This building is just another testament to its growth and the impact ASU has had within the community of Tempe.

Want to know more about a building on campus? Have a burning historical question? Drop us a line at sparkysquill@gmail.com or find us on twitter @sparkysquill!

×