Student governments pass athletic fee bill

The first of three steps in implementing the athletic fee bill took place Friday with four of the five student governments voting and passing the bill.

Student governments at West, Polytechnic, Downtown and the Graduate Professional Student Association voted to pass the bill which will impose a $150 per year fee on students at all campuses except for Lake Havasu and online students. Tempe campus USG will vote on Oct. 29.

The fee will go toward the athletics department's deficit while bringing back the estimated $10 million being taken from tuition dollars.

The money being brought back into academics will be used for a variety of services including tickets to all sporting events allowing students to sit in the new "inferno" student sections at all venues, childcare vouchers, extended tutoring services, better pay for teacher assistants, improved training of tutors, free downloads of computer programs and veterans' resources.

With the majority of campuses voting in favor of the bill, the Tempe campus government vote on Oct. 29 will not have an effect on whether the bill will move forward to ASU President Michael Crow's office, but they will have the ability to add an amendment or make recommendations before the finalization of the bill.

Student governments are continuing to seek student input and are willing to address any concerns still lingering in student's minds.

The  proposal can be viewed here.

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Joey_Hancock

×