The (Day) After: ASU defense locks down CU

A look back at ASU’s 54-13 win over Colorado on Saturday night:

Defense steps up

It was a good night for the defense.

After giving up an average of 37.5 points over the past four games, the Sun Devils finally locked down on Colorado.

Sure, it was against the team with the lowest yards of total offense per game and the second-worst scoring offense in the Pac-12, but this is the confidence builder ASU’s defense needed after its gauntlet of facing elite talent.

ASU allowed just 85 yards of total offense against the Buffaloes, with Colorado only managing to record seven rushing yards.

Colorado’s starting junior quarterback Connor Wood only lasted just three drives and finished the game throwing 0-for-4 with -11 yards, an interception and was sacked once.

Freshman quarterback Sefo Liufau came for Wood and actually did better, but didn’t do much to threaten ASU’s defense. Liufau ended the game 18-for-26 with 169 passing yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Colorado junior wide receiver Paul Richardson was supposed to be a difference maker after missing last year’s game, but had his worst game of his season. Richardson didn’t record a single reception in the entire first half and only got all four of his receptions for 39 yards in the second half against the Sun Devils’ backup defense.

The Sun Devils’ defensive line finally showed some glimpses of the dominance everyone was waiting for, sacking Wood and Liufau three times. ASU also forced four turnovers while not committing one on offense. Redshirt sophomore defensive back Lloyd Carrington and redshirt junior safety Damarious Randall both got their first interceptions of their ASU careers while redshirt senior defensive back Robert Nelson also came away with a pick in the third quarter. Redshirt senior defensive end Davon Coleman and redshirt senior linebacker Carl Bradford forced Liufau to throw the ball out of the endzone for a safety ruled by intentional grounding.

Bradford admitted he got some confidence back.

“For me, it was a big confidence booster,” he said. “At the beginning of the year, I kind of slacked off on my sacks. This game, I tried to come out and take full advantage of the opponent, and I think I did that very well."

Like all of ASU’s past opponents, the Buffaloes’ defensive line was focused on containing redshirt senior defensive tackle Will Sutton. Although Sutton hurried the quarterbacks in a few instances, the All-American finished with just two tackles that were both assisted. Sutton was called for a late hit in the first quarter.

How was ASU’s stellar play on defense possible? Ask anyone on the team and they’ll tell you it all started with preparation.

“I think it started this week in practice,” Bradford said. “Our guys were focused. We came out really prepared. We knew we needed to step up and play our Sun Devil defense.”

Second-team gets some experience

As ASU coach Todd Graham stated in the postgame press conference, the blowout allowed the starters to get some valuable rest and give playing time to the second unit.

Redshirt sophomore quarterbacks Mike Bercovici and Michael Eubank both lined up under center in the second half. Bercovici finished 2-for-3 with 23 passing yards and Eubank recorded two rushing yards on one attempt.

Freshman linebacker Viliami Latu had a fumble while playing on defense for the first time all season. Redshirt senior linebacker R.J. Robinson had his first career touchdown in the third quarter on a 1-yard run.

Many other players made cameos in the third quarter as well, including senior tight end Darwin Rogers, redshirt senior defensive back Marlon Pollard, redshirt sophomore cornerback Rashad Wadood, senior linebacker Kipeli Koniseti and redshirt freshman linebacker Carlos Mendoza.

Reach the reporter at jnacion@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @Josh_Nacion

×