ASU soccer senior Kaitlyn Pavlovich comes to the rescue vs. Utah, CU

4. Senior Kaitlyn Pavlovich jumps in anticipation of heading the ball. ASU won the game 4-3. (Arianna Grainey)

4. Senior Kaitlyn Pavlovich jumps in anticipation of heading the ball. ASU won the game 4-3. (Arianna Grainey) Senior Kaitlyn Pavlovich jumps in anticipation of heading the ball during the game against Illinois. Despite being a center defender, Pavlovich scored two goals this weekend. (Photo by Arianna Grainey)

The last few weeks were not what the ASU soccer team had planned.

After starting the season 8-4 and 3-1 in the Pac-12, it took six games for the Sun Devils to win again.

ASU went on a 0-3-2 stretch and nearly saw its season slip away against Utah, until senior defender Kaitlyn Pavlovich rescued the Sun Devils in the last few minutes of regulation.

Pavlovich plays a center defending position, which isn’t exactly associated with offense. Entering the weekend, Pavlovich had scored two career goals.

But the Sun Devils saw an opportunity for her to contribute on set pieces. Listed at 5 feet, 10 inches, she’s tied for the tallest player on the roster.

Pavlovich used her height in scoring two goals this weekend, equaling her previous career total. ASU needed both goals badly.

If the Sun Devils would have lost to the Utes on Sunday, their record would have dropped to .500 with one game remaining and all but assured a missed postseason bid.

Instead, Pavlovich headed in a corner from senior midfielder Rachael Ritter with 3:18 remaining, sending the game into overtime.

The Sun Devils still needed to win the game to keep their postseason hopes alive. They clinched it when sophomore forward Cali Farquharson finally scored her 10th goal of the season.

On her only shot of the game, Farquharson broke a 10-game streak without scoring a goal.

The Sun Devils (9-7-2, 4-4-2 Pac-12) still aren’t guaranteed a postseason berth, even if they beat UA in the regular season finale on Thursday.

If the Sun Devils don’t make the NCAA tournament, the first place they will look is their tie against Colorado Friday night. With Colorado ranked No. 23 entering the weekend, a win would have resulted in a significant boost to ASU's RPI.

However, ASU had to play more than just the Buffaloes, as Sun Devil players and coaches believe just about every call went against ASU. The Sun Devils were called for 15 fouls compared to seven for the Buffaloes, including an 11-0 margin in the second half.

ASU’s players were called for four yellow cards, and the bench earned another one. Senior forward Devin Marshall picked up her seventh yellow card of the season. If Marshall picks up one more, she will be automatically suspended for the next game.

ASU coach Kevin Boyd said it was the most one-sided called game that he’s coached in and that referee Tyler Ploeger “ought to be ashamed.”

The Buffaloes were awarded a questionable second-half penalty kick when the Sun Devils were called for holding someone in the box.

The Sun Devils didn’t buy it, and Pavlovich said the referee didn’t explain which player was called. The penalty kick led to a tie game with 20 minutes remaining in regulation, and neither team scored again.

Before the weekend, ASU had lost every game in which it trailed. Pavlovich’s header just before halftime tied the Colorado game, and senior midfielder Blair Alderson put the Sun Devils ahead in the second half.

Ultimately, tying Colorado (12-5-2, 4-4-2 Pac-12) and beating Utah (9-4-6, 5-3-2 Pac-12) are two good results and the Sun Devils came from behind for the first time all season.

Reach the reporter at justin.janssen@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @jjanssen11

×