ASU women’s basketball travels to Mexico for Cancun Challenge against top opponents

At first glance, the ASU women’s basketball team gets to spend a weekend in Cancun, Mexico.

But this trip is far from a vacation, as the Sun Devils play three quality teams, headlined by No. 11 North Carolina.

Coach Charli Turner Thorne said the Cancun Challenge, in which the Sun Devils play all games on a neutral site, mimics the NCAA tournament.

“A lot of top teams go, and we’re trying to get really good competition on a neutral floor, kind of like the NCAA tournament,” Turner Thorne said. “It’s a good kind of dress rehearsal, that’s why we’ve been doing it for years.”

The Sun Devils will play three games in three days, something they will only do twice this season: the Cancun Challenge and the Pac-12 tournament.

Playing so many games in quick succession means the Sun Devils will likely learn a lot about themselves.

On Thanksgiving Day, ASU squares off against Illinois (4-1), a team that has averaged more than 92 points in its first five games.

“Our schedule keeps kind of graduating, and I think definitely, just based on their returners and their success so far, they might be the best team that we have played this year so far,” Turner Thorne said. “They’re going to show us some things that we haven’t played against.”

In addition to their high-powered offense, the Fighting Illini utilize various defensive schemes, Turner Thorne said.

The following day, the Sun Devils face No. 11 North Carolina (4-1), whose only loss was to No. 3 Tennessee. The Tar Heels are looking to take down their second Pac-12 opponent, having already defeated UCLA on Nov. 17.

North Carolina is ASU’s first ranked opponent of the 2013-14 season. Turner Thorne said the Tar Heels are deserving of their top-15 ranking in the Associated Press poll.

“We’ve had some great games with them over the years,” Turner Thorne said. “Most of the time when we have played them, they have had really veteran teams. This is the first time that we have played them and they’re young.”

In last year’s March Madness tournament, the Tar Heels made it to the round of 32. Three seniors graduated in the spring, meaning this season’s roster carries four juniors and no seniors.

Last on the tournament schedule is Arkansas State (4-1). The Red Wolves’ marquee win so far was a 30-point victory over Louisiana Tech in Ruston, La.

ASU plays on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with all matches starting at 11:00 a.m. MST.

Injury report

Redshirt senior center Joy Burke, who injured her foot in Saturday’s game against Providence, did not practice Sunday but returned to practice on Tuesday. Turner Thorne expects Burke to return at full capacity for the Cancun Challenge.

Freshman forward Sophie Brunner is “slowly but surely” recovering from an ankle injury. The Freeport, Ill., native is also expected to be healthy this weekend.

Redshirt sophomore guard Katie Hempen took several charges Saturday afternoon, including one that shook her up midway through the first half. Turner Thorne said she is wearing a padded shirt during practice this week, but will also be ready to play Thursday.

Cancun chilling

The Sun Devils won’t be studying film and practicing for their entire time in Mexico, redshirt senior guard Deja Mann said.

“On the last day, we’ll have like a lot more time so we’ll probably just like walk around and find something to do,” Mann said.

Reach the reporter at bmargiot@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @BenMargiott

×