Devil Dish: ASU basketball attendance disappointing

The ASU men’s basketball team drew more than 1,200 students in its season-opening rout of University of Maryland Baltimore County at Wells Fargo Arena, according to a tweet sent out by the 942 Crew, a student group that aims to bring at least 942 students to every ASU men’s basketball home game.

Don’t get me wrong: The 942 Crew has done an amazing job banding together as students to cheer on Sun Devil teams.

But I’m not impressed by “selling out” the student section with barely more than 1,200 students.

First off, the fact that Sun Devil Athletics only allots students 1,200 seats to a student body of more than 70,000 is absurd. Wells Fargo is an arena that has the capacity for more than 10,000, and with men’s basketball rarely selling out with the general public, Sun Devil Athletics can afford a few more student seats.

But that’s beyond the point. My biggest issue is with the general student body at ASU, for its overall lack of involvement and disregard for our basketball team.

It’s not like the on-court product is bad. You get to watch future NBA first-rounder Jahii Carson showcase his skills on a team that has a legitimate chance of making the NCAA tournament.

So what’s holding back all the fans? I wish I knew the answer to that. In the meantime, find me at Wells Fargo, adorned in gold.

Reach the reporter at bmargiot@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @BenMargiott

×