Incognito scandal drags NFL bullying culture into the limelight

The scandal regarding Miami Dolphins’ offensive linemen Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin has brought to light the harrowing fact that in today’s NFL, the line between bullying and hazing has been pushed too far.

Incognito reportedly bullied Martin to the point that Martin had to leave the team and, as a result, Incognito was suspended indefinitely and faces possible further punishment from the league office.

Reports stated that Incognito used offensive and racist terms directed at Martin to create a bullying environment that led to Martin having to step away from the game.

While the exchange in itself is a tragedy, it has brought to light an issue that’s even worse than one instance of racist bullying.

The plain fact of the matter is that the NFL has bred a culture of hazing and bullying that crosses many moral and ethical lines and has become far too accepted, if not common, among the league’s players.

In the aftermath of this scandal, many players have come out of the woodwork to take sides, either explicitly or otherwise. Some have chosen to remain anonymous, others have publicly stood by their quotes either in support of or in condemnation of Incognito and his actions.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, the fact that there is even a hint of support for Incognito these days is shameful.

Hazing is one thing. Making rookies carry veterans' pads or paying for team dinners is a fun and harmless way to initiate newcomers into a team’s culture and environment.

But using racist slurs and making lewd sexual comments about a player’s mother like Incognito did isn’t hazing; it’s blatant bullying. And it’s gone too far.

When hazing becomes hurtful and emotionally destructive, it is no longer acceptable at any level.

What Incognito did to Martin crossed a line. Martin was no longer a rookie. He was no longer being playfully initiated into the Dolphins’ locker room. He was being emotionally harassed.

That fact in itself is a shame, but the fact that there are those with the gall to support Incognito or attempt to lessen the severity of his actions is the true crime in this scandal.

Former Dolphin Lydon Murtha, who played with both Martin and Incognito at Miami, wrote a guest column on "The Monday Morning Quarterback" expressing his thoughts on the situation.

In his article, Murtha talked about how Martin didn’t seem to fit in and that Incognito “took him under his wing.”

Murtha went on to say that Martin broke a code by going to the press. While that may be the case, criticizing Martin for trying to protect himself from harassment is just plain wrong.

Having read Murtha’s column, the quote that stuck out to me the most is when he wrote: “Playing football is a man’s job, and if there’s any weak link, it gets weeded out. It’s the leaders’ job on the team to take care of it.”

That sickens me. That makes me think that not only do NFL players accept this type of bullying, they condone it.

My interpretation of Murtha’s quote is that if a player isn’t tough or macho enough to deal with the racism and the bullying in the locker room, it’s his fault, not the fault of those doing the bullying.

Other players have spoken out in criticism of Martin’s actions, too.

New York Giants’ safety Antrel Rolle spoke out in an article by Steven Wine of the Associated Press.

Rolle said Incognito was wrong but also indicated that Martin needed to stand his ground as an individual.

Other players reflected Rolle’s thoughts on the situation.

Antonio Smith of the Houston Texans, a player suspended for striking Incognito with his helmet this preseason, advocated a more violent approach from Martin.

In the same Associated Press report, Smith said he was always taught to “hit a bully in the mouth.”

So on the one hand, we have players supporting Incognito’s actions and others saying Martin should have physically assaulted him instead of removing himself from the situation.

As the NFL comes under fire for being a machismo environment for a variety of different reasons, the fact that some players are directly advocating for in-fighting between bullies and their victims doesn’t exactly help the situation.

As a fan of the game and as a human being, I am truly upset by the way that this story has played out. Upset that it happened, but even more upset that the NFL players don’t care and don’t seem to be affected at all by the fact that this happened.

Bullying is one thing, but seeing bullying and not taking a stand against it is now the biggest issue the NFL faces in the aftermath of the Incognito scandal.

Reach the columnist at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

×