Tempe Police: Car passenger found with marijuana

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

• A 21-year-old Tempe man was arrested Nov. 9 on Mill Avenue and University Drive on suspicion of possession of marijuana, drug paraphernalia and narcotic drugs, according to a police report.

Officers said a black BMW was traveling southbound on Mill Avenue, and it appeared that the front seat passenger had a glass bottle of beer in his hands.

Bike police officers caught up with the vehicle and contacted the front seat passenger, according to the report.

Police could smell burning marijuana coming from the vehicle, the report said.

The man was in the rear passenger seat, and a small amount of a green leafy substance believed to be marijuana was next to him, police said.

Officers removed the man from the vehicle and detained him in handcuffs, according to the report.

He gave officers permission to search him and police found small leafy substances believed to be marijuana on his person, along with a package of Swisher Sweets cigars, police said.

The man said he had smoked marijuana earlier that evening and used the wrappers from the cigars when he smoked it, according to the report.

A search of the vehicle revealed a burnt marijuana cigar in the ash tray, police said.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, and when he was strip searched, a plastic bag with a usable amount of heroin was found in his rectum, according to the report.

The man attempted to kick it down a drain, but police were able to recover it, police said.

He said the heroin was his and that he consumes it by smoking it, police said.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending charges, according to the report.

•  
  • A 20-year-old year old Tempe man was arrested Nov. 10 on the 1600 block of South College Avenue on suspicion of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.

Police said they found the man in the front passenger seat of a vehicle. Officers saw marijuana and a grinder on a floor board next to his left foot, police reported.

The man told police that it was his grinder and that there was still marijuana inside it, according to the report.

Police inspected the grinder and found a usable amount of marijuana inside, the report said.

Officers also found a usable amount of marijuana in the main compartment of his backpack and a small burnt marijuana cigarette, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released pending charges, the report said.

Reports compiled by Kelcie Grega.

Reach the reporter at kgrega@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @KelcieGrega

×