First half recap: ASU 30 UA 7

Sophomore running back D.J. Foster completes a touchdown in the game against UA. The Sun Devils lead the Wild Cats(Photo by Diana Lustig)

Sophomore running back D.J. Foster completes a touchdown in the game against UA. The Sun Devils lead the Wild Cats(Photo by Diana Lustig) Sophomore running back D.J. Foster completes a touchdown in the game against UA. The Sun Devils lead the Wild Cats 30-7. (Photo by Diana Lustig)

ASU jumped out to a 27-0 lead midway through the second quarter to take a 30-7 advantage into halftime in Tempe.

The Sun Devils received first and promptly moved down the field, finishing off the drive with a 38-yard field goal by freshman Zane Gonzalez, his 15th consecutive make, to take a 3-0 lead.

The Wildcats went three-and-out on their opening drive and redshirt sophomore punter Drew Riggleman's punt went just 12 yards, giving the Sun Devils starting position on the Wildcats' 29 yard-line.

The Sun Devils took advantage as Gonzalez his his second field goal of the game, this one from 21 yards out, to push the lead to 6-0.

Redshirt junior quarterback Taylor Kelly extended the Sun Devils lead on its next drive, hitting senior tight end Darwin Rogers on a 38-yard touchdown pass to make it 13-0.

The Sun Devils defense stopped Wildcats junior running back Ka'Deem Carey on fourth down its next possession and sophomore running back D.J. Foster pushed the lead to 20-0 with a 14-yard rushing touchdown.

Two drives later, the Sun Devils scored again, this time courtesy of a one-yard rushing touchdown by redshirt junior tight end De'Marieya Nelson, to make it 27-0.

The Wildcats responded this time, moving down the field in 12 plays to score its first points of the game, a one-yard touchdown run by B.J. Denker, to cut the deficit to 27-7.

Gonzalez added a 23-yard field goal with 11 seconds remaining in the half to make the halftime score 30-7 Sun Devils.

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu.edu and follow him on Twitter @DsShapi

×