First half recap: Stanford 28 ASU 14

Football Aziz Shittu Stanford

Stanford sophomore defensive end Aziz Shittu carries the ball against ASU in the Pac-12 title game on Saturday, Dec. 7, 2013, at Sun Devil Stadium. The Cardinal defeated the Sun Devils 38-14.

#7 Halftime recap Junior wide receiver Ty Montgomery breaks tackles as he makes a run for the end zone during the first half. Stanford leads ASU 28-14. (Photo by Dominic Valente)

Stanford scored on its opening four drives to grab a 28-14 halftime lead over ASU.

The Cardinal won the toss and elected to receive and on the second play from scrimmage senior running back Tyler Gaffney darted 69 yards down the sideline for the opening touchdown.

The Sun Devils had a response in the form of sophomore running back D.J. Foster, who split the defense and went into the end zone untouched from 51 yards out to even the score at seven.

Gaffney and the Cardinal came right back, finishing an eight-play drive with a one-yard touchdown run to regain the lead 14-7.

The Sun Devils were unable to score and the Cardinal took advantage once more, this time on a 22-yard run by junior receiver Ty Montgomery to extend the lead to 21-7.

Following a 16-yard punt by Sun Devils senior punter Alex Garoutte, Gaffney muscled the ball in on fourth and goal for his third touchdown of the game and a 28-7 Cardinal lead.

The Sun Devils struck back with another touchdown from Foster, this time a 65-yard reception, to cut the Cardinal lead to 28-14.

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu.edu and follow him on Twitter @DsShapi

×