Tempe Police: Sex offender contacted as witness, goes to jail himself

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday:

A 23-year-old man was arrested March 15 on the 700 block of West University Drive on suspicion of failure to update his sex offender identification and being a fugitive from justice, according to a police report.

The man was contacted as a witness to an assault at the listed address, but once the investigation concluded, police performed a background check on the man, the report said.

Police said that Tempe Dispatch informed the officer that the man had a felony warrant for a probation violation and was a registered sex offender who was hiding from the law.

Police could not confirm that the man had changed addresses within the last 10 days, because the man was unable to provide his home address, because he did not have one, the report said.

He was booked into Tempe City Jail, where he was held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 36-year-old Tempe man was arrested March 15 on the 800 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of drug paraphernalia and dangerous drug possession, according to a police report.

Police contacted the man in front of a CVS, according to the report.

The man had a tire tube around his neck and his things were spread on the ground near the entrance, the report said.

The man consented to a search, when the arresting officer found the cap of a hypothermic needle cap and a small bag of methamphetamine, police said.

Once the officer found the illegal drugs, the man told the officer, “Those aren’t my pants,” police said.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked, according to the report.

Reach the reporter at chelseyballarte@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @chelseyballarte

×