Music for a soon-to-be-grad

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.
Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez. Graphic by Noemi Gonzalez.

Music is one of the few things that are forever. There’s always room for new discoveries to nestle a permanent place between old favorites—maybe even songs you’ve listened to for years. Unlike music, college is fleeting, and I find myself staring at one last month of classes. (Imagine a 22-year-old version of a kid grasping her stuffed teddy bear, shaking her head, tears welling, after hearing Santa isn’t real. That’s me right now.) Does it have to end?

A reliable coping mechanism as I apply for countless jobs is listening to some bands I haven’t yet explored. Uncharted territory on all fronts, I enter this next phase of my life with an indefinite question mark drawn across the coming months.

Here’s what has been helping…

“Talk is Cheap” by Chet Faker – I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again—I will never shut up about this Australian electro-soul singer. He’s releasing his first full-length album “Built on Glass” in a mere couple of days, and this glorious song proves even more delightful than I had hoped.

“Rooms of the House” album by La Dispute – It’s hard to come up with a list of post-hardcore artists I enjoy. Funny how you think about genres much like a movie or atypical food item, and say to yourself, “Man, I’d probably really like it.” That’s my relationship with hardcore. Aside from some occasional Touche Amore, La Dispute is really the first time I’ve dipped my toes in it. This album rather poetically narrates the nuances of life often overlooked by musical constraints. It’s filled with memories, nostalgia, heartbreak and existentialism, and that’s all between some strategically placed screams and wails.

“WHALE” by Yellow Ostrich – Weird. Cool. But yet, really weird. Not all of Yellow Ostrich’s tracks on “The Mistress” are easy to get through, but "WHALE" is one of those insanely catchy songs you can jam out to in your car after work. There’s something inspiring and uplifting about it with rhythmic banging drums, and, I’m pretty sure, whale screeches in the background.

“Milo Greene” album by Milo Greene – Milo Greene is a band I never seriously tried listening to, but I’ve been appreciating the earnest lyrics and easygoing folk-meets-pop sound. It’s easy listening with a dreamlike aura that’s sure to inspire getting a little lost in thought; what I consider to be transportation music.

Reach the blogger at inovak@asu.edu or on Twitter @IsabelleNovak.

×