ASU, Thunderbird School of Global Management in discussions to merge

The Thunderbird School of Global Management and ASU are in talks to have Thunderbird become one of the colleges that make up ASU.

According to a press release sent from the University on July 3, the two schools have agreed on an outline of the general terms of the merger and are working toward a final agreement.

Thunderbird, a top-ranked international business school on its own, would supplement the MBA programs already offered in the W. P. Carey School of Business.

“This merger offers significant advantages to both institutions,” ASU President Michael Crow said in the release. “Through the integration of Thunderbird with ASU, the Thunderbird historic global education vision will be sustained and extended, students at ASU and Thunderbird will have access to more courses and programs, ASU’s executive education programs can be broadened and expanded, and financial efficiencies will be created.”

According to the press release, terms that are being discussed indicated that many of the programs offered by Thunderbird would be available at ASU in the fall 2015 semester.

At that time, Thunderbird's faculty would become official members of ASU faculty.

ASU said its goal is that the Thunderbird school would be self-sustaining so that no new state appropriations or tuition would be necessary.

“This is a big moment in Thunderbird’s history, and we are excited by the significant opportunity it represents to join with one of the world’s most innovative universities," Thunderbird president Larry Penley, said in a press release. "Both institutions share compatible missions and a strong commitment to global impact which can energize us both.”

According to the press release, the current timetable indicates that final terms will be agreed upon by the end of July and accreditation changes will be completed by the end of the calendar year.

Representatives from ASU were unavailable for comment at press time.

Reach the reporter at icbeck@asu.edu and follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21.

×