ASU football game to cause road closures in Tempe

Streets around downtown Tempe will be restricted and closed off Thursday to accommodate for the ASU football game against the visiting UCLA Bruins.

The Tempe Department of Transportation announced Thursday that various streets would be restricted to address public safety concerns.

MORE: See all UCLA game day coverage. 

According to a release from the Department of Transportation, for all games beginning at 6 p.m. or later, free Orbit service will be extended until midnight into neighborhoods around the area. Buses will detour beginning during the third quarter and will last until approximately one hour after the game ends. Travelers are warned to expect delays during traffic for all buses traveling in downtown Tempe.

Streets will be restricted in three time periods: five hours until kickoff until the game begins, two hours until kickoff until one hour after the game ends and at the start of the third quarter until one hour after the game ends.

Veterans Way will be closed in both directions five hours before kickoff at 7 p.m. as well as westbound Rio Salado Parkway and College Ave.

Beginning two hours before the start of the game, closures will extend to parts of 5th St. and 6th St. as well Ash and Maple Aves.

Parts of Scottsdale Rd./Rural Rd. will be closed from the beginning of the third quarter until one hour after the end of the game, including eastbound and westbound off-ramps for SR202.

The Tempe Department of Transportation has a full list of all street closures and restrictions.

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

×