For most teens, the main priority is to be accepted and attend college after high school. The choice of whether to stick around your hometown or venture into a brand new environment out-of-state is a life-altering decision for how one starts young adulthood.

However, there's a lot to take into account in moving out-of-state. As a freshman new to college this fall semester, it's easy to say that the out-of-state experience is one that a college student will benefit from in all aspects.

Move-in day is exciting and full of distractions. It's not until your parents finish moving you in and begin saying their goodbyes that the reality of being on your own truly kicks in — not removed by a half-hour, but by the Rocky Mountains. The new-found freedom instills a mixture of fear and excitement.

When classes begin, one must find a balance between a social and academic life. Once this balance is disrupted — and be assured, it will be — out-of-state students must figure out how to regain their footing; it's not so easy as driving to your parents’ house for help. A phone call can only do so much. This need for self-reliance allows a person to find solutions that their parents would normally present.

Another issue with not having parents around is the necessity for money. Since out-of-state students are often paying a large amount of money for tuition, it's not so easy to ask for materials or resources that cost more money than is in the bank. Additionally, academics will be put first before going out and spending money that is not accessible. However, this situation causes a student to begin budgeting and finding ways in which he or she can survive financially. For instance, instead of buying new clothes or video games, one must buy school supplies or Brita filters to avoid the mineral-laden swill Arizonans call water. Priorities are set straight within the first couple of weeks, and there is a cycle that is created.

Going out-of-state is really "baptism through fire." Staying in-state provides all the comforts of your friends, family and community, but going out-of-state is what will make you a stronger human being. Of course, the first semester can be rough, but at the conclusion of your college career, you'll appreciate how the struggles made you a better person.

Finally, a student begins to feel appreciation for everything that was home to them before moving miles away. When breaks come around, family and the stability of a home becomes much more appreciated. Despite having wanted to move out for nearly two decades, you'll appreciate your hometown upon returning. Being able to return for four weeks, yet maintain your independence is a wonderful thing. After all, college is an investment in yourself; going out-of-state is the best way to make the most of it.

Reach the columnist at Ryan.Santistevan@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @ryanerica18

×