Tempe Police: Man tries to escape police officers on bicycle

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 54-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Sept. 18 on the 5400 block of South Kyrene Road on suspicion of dangerous drug possession and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to a police report.

The man was spotted by a police officer while he was riding his bicycle into the parking lot of a closed auto shop, police reported.

Officers said the man immediately turned his bicycle around and began riding away upon seeing their marked patrol car, and they approached him, because he was riding his bicycle in the wrong direction along the sidewalk.

When the officers initially tried to contact the man, he tried to escape them by riding around them on his bicycle, but he was eventually removed from the bike and handcuffed by officers, according to the report.

Before the man was contacted by officers, he threw a dark object over a road-side fence that was later identified as a bag filled with methamphetamine and drug-related paraphernalia, according to the police report.

A 26-year-old Tempe man was arrested Sept. 17 on the 3200 block of South Rural Road on suspicion of forgery, narcotic drug possession, illegally obtaining narcotic drugs and being a fugitive from justice, according to a police report.

The man was arrested at a Fry’s grocery store for allegedly attempting to forge a prescription document, police reported.

The man presented a prescription for the drug Percocet at the store, which was found to be forged after a store employee called the doctor named on the prescription, police reported.

The employee said he suspected the false prescription because of the the handwriting used to write it, according to the report.

The man told officers that he thought the false prescription was real, according to the report.

After his arrest, it was discovered that the man had an outstanding Mesa warrant for failing to appear in court, police reported.

He was transported to the Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Reports compiled by Megann Phillips

Reach the reporter at megann.phillips@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @megannphillips

×