Tempe USG passes resolution for appropriate weather responses

Flooding is seen at a parking structure on Third Street near Mill Avenue in Tempe. The flooding was the result of a record-setting rainstorm in the Valley. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Mill Avenue flooding Flooding is seen at the Civic Space Park in downtown Phoenix. The flooding was the result of a record-setting rainstorm in the Valley. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Tempe Undergraduate Student Government passed five bills at tonight's meeting including a resolution recommending ASU respond more appropriately to weather emergencies in the future.

Senator Isabelle Murray presented the Resolution Recommending Appropriate Responses to Weather and said the resolution was in response to the handling of the Sept. 8 weather emergency.

The resolution asks that if there is a time when there is severe weather defined by the National Weather Service or by the Governor, that there will not be school for staff or students, and the University be closed.

The resolution also asks for appropriate notification of the University closing prior to the start of the first scheduled classes for that day.

Tempe USG President Cassidy Possehl announced a sexual violence awareness week titled Sun Devils Fight Back will be held Oct. 20-24. The week was scheduled in order to address the issue of sexual violence as soon as possible.

Programming for the week will be focused on ending the culture of sexual violence and unnecessary sexual contact, Possehl said.

Self-defense workshops will be held by a local instructor and a NFL Hall of Fame player whose name hasn't yet been announced.

The workshops will be female-centric and male-centric, and students can attend whichever class they feel most comfortable with.

Reach the reporter at jshanco2@asu.edu or follow on Twitter @joey_hancock

CORRECTION: Due to an editing error, an incorrect caption was placed with the photo accompanying this story. This version has been updated with the correct caption. 

×