ASU passed by UA in AP poll, remains at No. 14 in Coaches poll

Freshman defensive back Armand Perry carries an interception for a touchdown during the 4th quarter of the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Freshman defensive back Armand Perry carries an interception for a touchdown during the 4th quarter of the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Freshman defensive back Armand Perry carries an interception for a touchdown during the 4th quarter of the game against Washington on Oct. 25. ASU defeated Washington 24-10. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

After winning its third straight game, ASU remained at No. 14 in the USA Today Amway Coaches Poll, ahead of No. 15 UA and No. 18 Utah.

In the AP Poll, the Sun Devils were not so lucky as UA flipped spots with ASU, moving to No. 14 while ASU fell to No. 15.

The Sun Devils recorded a 14-point win over Washington on Saturday and UA won a high-scoring affair with Washington State 59-37. Both teams have identical 6-1 records but with a 4-1 conference record, ASU sits a half game up in the Pac-12 South.

Utah moved from No. 19 to No. 18 in the AP poll, mirroring its movement in the Coaches Poll. No. 18 is the highest the Utes have been in the Coaches Poll all season.

Notre Dame is the highest ranked school remaining on ASU's schedule, sitting at No. 6 in the AP Top 25 and No. 7 in the Coaches Poll.

The Pac-12 now has five teams ranked in the Top 25 in the coaches poll: Oregon (No. 6), ASU, UA, Utah and UCLA (No. 25). Stanford and USC are just outside the Top 25, with both schools receiving votes.

The conference has the same number of schools in the AP Top 25 as Oregon sits at No. 5 followed by UA, ASU, Utah and UCLA. The Bears are just inside the Top 25, finishing behind the 6-1 Duke Blue Devils for the final spot in the poll.

Following the release of this week's Top 25, fans will await the release of the ranking from the College Football Playoff Committee. The 12-person committee will release the rankings that will ultimately determine the members of the inaugural four team playoff on Tuesday, Oct. 28 on ESPN. The segment will air at 4:30 pm Arizona time.

The playoff committee's rankings will then be released weekly with the final rankings coming Dec. 7.

AP top 10:

1. Mississippi State (46 first-place votes)

2. Florida State (14)

3. Alabama

4. Auburn

5. Oregon

6. Notre Dame

7. Ole Mis

8. Michigan State

9. Georgia

10. TCU

Coaches top 10:

1. Mississippi State (41 first-place votes)

2. Florida State (21)

3. Alabama

4. Auburn

5. Michigan State

6. Oregon

7. Notre Dame

8. Georgia

9. Ole Miss

10. TCU

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×