No. 1 ASU hockey upset by Central Oklahoma in Edmond

No. 1 ASU lost a grand total of two games in all of the 2013-14 season. Two.

In falling on to the No. 5 Central Oklahoma Bronchos (10-0) 7-4 Thursday night, the Sun Devils' saw their undefeated run end through a fit of undisciplined play and poor defensive effort.

The Bronchos appeared to have the upper hand from the start, as the ASU (8-1) attack was bottled up by great defensive play as well as two separate ASU penalties. After the opening eight minutes, the Sun Devils managed just a measly two shots on goal.

Central Oklahoma got on the board first midway through the first period, as forward Trevor Yee found the back of the net by going top shelf on freshman goaltender Lucas Felbel to give them the early 1-0 lead.

ASU appeared to charge right back, making the most of back-to-back Broncho power plays that gave the Sun Devils a 5-on-3 advantage. ASU got on the board after sophomore forward Sean Murphy found junior defender Connor Schmidt at the point on the first power play, then took the 2-1 lead just minutes later.

Central Oklahoma got things level at two goals apiece just moments before the end of the first period, as center Michael Rivera scored his first goal of the night. They scored again right after the break, this time breaking through on a nifty backhand that easily got past Felbel to put them up 3-2.

As ASU appeared to take back the momentum on the power play, the Bronchos struck again with a shorthanded goal to extend the lead to 4-2. Following the fourth goal, ASU coach Greg Powers elected to bring in sophomore goaltender Robert Levin to replace Felbel.

Moments after ASU made the move, however, Central Oklahoma scored again on the ensuing power play to kick the upset into high gear.

ASU tried crawling back into the game with a goal late in the period, and even cut the lead to 5-4 after a goal by Murphy midway through the third.

Just seconds after Murphy cut the lead to a single goal, Rivera came right back and scored for the third time on the night, giving him the hat trick. Central Oklahoma would score again minutes later to put the game away for good with a 7-4 score.

As the end of the game unfolded, discipline on both ends began to fade. Five total players were ejected from the game in the final period, including Sun Devils Chris Burkemper, Eric Rivard and Kyle Bowen. Another Bronchos player received a five minute major penalty for fighting within the closing seconds of the game.

Additional notes:

-Thursday marked the first time this season that ASU trailed by more than a goal in any game, and the first time that they have trailed in general since playing No. 6 Minot State two weeks ago.

- Michael Rivera's hat trick is the first such feat allowed by an ASU opponent this season. ASU has had two hat tricks themselves this season (Ryan Ostertag, Rivard).

- In his first relief appearance this season, Levin allowed three goals over two periods. After only giving up three goals in a game twice all of last season, he has already allowed three goals or more in three games this season.

ASU now opens a two-game set on Friday against No. 3 Oklahoma (5-3), who is coming off of a 4-3 overtime loss to No. 18 UA Thursday.

THREE STARS:

First Star: Michael Rivera, Central Oklahoma, Three goals

Second Star: Tory Caldwell, Central Oklahoma (4 GA, 35 saves)

Third Star: Sean Murphy, ASU (One goal, one assist)

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @fardaya15

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

Correction: A previous version of this story stated that Bretton Patchett was in goal for Central Oklahoma, it was Tory Caldwell.

×