Tempe Police: Man steals vehicle, found in possession of drugs

A 34-year-old Tempe man was arrested Oct. 23 on the 2700 block of Baseline Road on suspicion of theft, fleeing from police, narcotic drug possession and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

The police got a call about a suspicious vehicle, and a check of the vehicle's license plate confirmed that the vehicle was stolen, police reported.

Police attempted to stop the vehicle with a marked patrol car, lights and sirens, but the man fled, heading west on Baseline Road, according to the report.

The man ran multiple red lights in his attempt to escape the police, and the vehicle was later found in the parking lot of a Fry's Food and Drug store, police reported.

The officers then found the man, who told the police that he had rented the vehicle on Tuesday to "drive girls around so they could work," according to the police report.

The man did not specify what kind of work the women would be doing, police reported.

The man stated he had fled because he was being chased, and it was his nature to flee from the police, according to the police report.

The man denied knowing the police were attempting to stop him, and said he thought he was being chased by a dark SUV, police reported.

Upon searching the vehicle, police found the man's driver's license and bank card, along with two syringes, a glass pipe with burnt residue, a bent metal spoon with a dark-colored tar substance and a cotton swab which were used to consume meth and heroin, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

A 32-year-old transient man was arrested Oct. 21 at University Drive and Mill Avenue on suspicion of marijuana, dangerous drug, narcotic drug and drug paraphernalia possession, resisting the police and disorderly conduct, police reported.

The man was contacted in reference to a possible drug deal call that happened at University Drive, according to a police report.

He then attempted to flee from the police, running southbound, in the midst of the investigation, police reported.

Then, during a scuffle, the man attempted to consume a small plastic bag containing marijuana, two small plastic bags containing cocaine and three small bags containing meth, according to the police report.

The man stated he bought $10 worth of marijuana, two bags of cocaine for $25 and a $10 pack of cigarettes for an unknown substance, according to the police report.

The unknown substance was found in an orange prescription bottle before the man shoved it into his mouth to prevent the police from finding it, police reported.

The man was transported to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center for possible injuries sustained during the arrest, according to the police report.

The man was still in the hospital with an officer standing by to transport him to Tempe City Jail when he was released.

Reports compiled by Emi Kamezaki.

Reach the reporter at ekamezak@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @emikamezaki

×