The world of cult films: 'Yellow Submarine'

(Image courtesy of United Artists)
(Image courtesy of United Artists)

(Image courtesy of United Artists) (Image courtesy of United Artists)

It took me a little bit longer than usual to pick a cult film for this week’s review. None of the titles really seemed to jump out at me. I’d done some dark films, and I wanted something light-hearted. Then, toward the bottom of the list, I spotted “Yellow Submarine,” the 1968 animated Beatles film with which I was more than familiar.

I grew up on this movie. When I was 2, I’d already developed a habit of binge-watching it. My aunt used to tell my parents, “You need to stop letting him watch 'Yellow Submarine.' He’ll grow up to be a hippie.” It was the movie that introduced me to the glories of music and film, so when I saw it on the list, there was no question — “Yellow Submarine” was next.

Now this plot overview is going to sound weird to some of you who haven’t seen the movie, but bear with me.

The film is set in Pepperland, a beautiful place 18,000 leagues below the sea. The people of Pepperland live in harmony and are protected by the music of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. When the Blue Meanies, who live in the mountains on the edge of the land, attack the people of Pepperland, they trap Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band in a glass sphere, cutting off the music that protected all things.

The Meanies also paralyze the people of Pepperland and drain the land of color. During the attack, the Mayor of Pepperland sends Old Fred off in the Yellow Submarine to find help. Old Fred travels to Liverpool where he gathers the four Beatles, John, Paul, George and Ringo. The five of them then travel through many dangerous and strange seas to get back to Pepperland and save its people.

Besides the music, the highlight of the film is its animation. Art director Heinz Edelmann created the psychedelic pop style used in the movie and oversaw about 200 artists also working on the project. The art was so different than that of other films at the time, using limited animation that would influence post-modern animators like Terry Gilliam.

Director George Dunning pitched the idea for the “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” scene — one of the most visually enchanting parts of the film. When the Beatles arrive at “the foothills of the headlands,” Lennon sings his song and dancers twirl in the myriad stone busts that have visual effects playing on their heads. Bright colors are everywhere, revolving like Lucy’s “kaleidoscope eyes.” This animation was like nothing Disney had ever done. It was groundbreaking.

The Beatles were not thrilled to be involved with the film. They had agreed to do three movies with United Artists, but were disappointed with their second film, “Help!” and so were hesitant to work on this animated feature. At the end of the film, the band made a short cameo to fulfill their contract. The scene was supposed to feature a psychedelic backdrop with added effects, but due to budget restraints, the background was left black and unadorned. This short sequence is the only time the actual members of the Beatles are present in the film; otherwise, actors were used as supplements.

This movie is visually awesome. The colors used often seem louder than the music playing. I was unaware “Yellow Submarine” had a cult following, but now that I know, I want in.

Reach the reporter at wruof@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @willruof

×