ASU fights off 'distraction' of NCAA move, wins over Illinois

ASU senior forward Liam Norris attempts to get past William Nunez of Illinois during the second quarter at Oceanside Arena in Tempe on Nov. 21, 2014. ASU won against Illinois 2-1. (Photo by Stephanie Specht)

ASU senior forward Liam Norris attempts to get past William Nunez of Illinois during the second quarter at Oceanside Arena in Tempe on Nov. 21, 2014. ASU won against Illinois 2-1. (Photo by Stephanie Specht) ASU senior forward Liam Norris attempts to get past William Nunez of Illinois during the second quarter at Oceanside Arena in Tempe on Nov. 21, 2014. ASU won against Illinois 2-1. (Photo by Stephanie Specht)

The Sun Devils may be Division I bound, but they have yet to forget that they still have just one goal in mind this season: win the ACHA title.

No. 1 ASU (19-2) proved that Friday night, taking care of business in a 2-1 win over No. 12 Illinois (12-6) at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe.

The Sun Devils clearly had a busy week as they announced that they would me making the move to the NCAA level Tuesday, but managed to come out and pick up the win.

“(Moving to Division I) can’t be a distraction, because it’s reality,” coach Greg Powers said. “I don’t know if that was a distraction or why we were a little shaky out there, but that’s not an excuse and it can’t be because we’re living in that world. “

It has been a taxing week for the Sun Devils, but that doesn’t mean that the focus isn’t on the current season.

“It’s obviously exciting,” sophomore forward Eric Rivard said. “We’re all excited about it. I think the community is excited about it. But I try to live in the moment, I think that most of the guys just try to live in the now. It will be what it will be next year, but right now we play in the ACHA.”

Rivard wasn't the only teammate to share that opinion.

“We’ve got to focus on the task at hand, which is this season,” sophomore defenseman Drew Newmeyer said. “We’ve got to make sure we’re playing the best hockey we can now, and take care of business this year.”

Powers says that this year's business will become even harder given the move.

“We already had a huge target on our back, and now it’s even bigger, and everybody is going to play us incredibly hard,” said Powers.

ASU got things off to a physical start from the outset, as both teams put together several big hits along the boards.

Neither team had much of anything going in the first period as they took a combined five penalties, converting none to go into the first intermission scoreless.

The Sun Devils finally broke through five minutes into the second period, with Rivard knocking in the shot from the crease off the assist by sophomore forward Ryan Belonger.

ASU scored again seven minutes later, flying out on the three-on-two break before sophomore forward Tommy Cooney fired a wrist shot off the crossbar to give the Sun Devils a 2-0 lead.

With a chance to seal the game in the final period, however, ASU faltered.

After sophomore forward Michael Cummings went to the box for ASU, the Illini finally managed to get on the board on the power play. Junior forward John Olen scored for Illinois off of a nifty deflection trimming the lead to 2-1.

Illinois dominated the possession of the puck in the final period, but never seemed able to put the finishing touches on a goal.

Powers was frustrated with ASU’s work rate, particularly in the final period as it allowed Illinois to get back in the game.

“I just don’t like being outworked,” Powers said. “(Illinois) simply outworked us. We had a two-goal lead going into the third, we throw our top line out to start the period and they got completely outworked. “

The play of ASU sophomore goaltender Robert Levin was the key to victory, Powers said.

“I think (Robert Levin) was the only reason we won,” he said.

No. 1 ASU hosts No. 12 Illinois again Saturday at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. Puck drop is expected for 7:30 p.m.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

- Friday’s win saw the return of captain Brett Blomgren to the team from injury. The team had been down to five healthy defensemen before last Friday’s game against Minot State.

- ASU’s two goals Friday matched their lowest goal output of the season.

- Illinois outshot ASU 40-34 on Saturday, marking just the second time this season that the Sun Devils were outshot.

- ASU was shut out on the power play over four opportunities. Illinois, on the other hand, went one for four with a man advantage.

THREE STARS:

Third Star: Joe Olen, Illinois (2 GA, 32 saves)

Second Star: Robert Levin, ASU (1 GA, 39 saves)

First Star: Eric Rivard (GW goal)

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @fardaya15

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×