ASU hockey looks to keep focus against Illinois

ASU Hockey vs Colorado State
against Colorado State, Friday, Oct. 31, 2014 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

Defender Edward McGovern checks a Colorado State player, Friday, Oct. 31, 2014 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils beat the Rams 8-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat) Defender Edward McGovern checks a Colorado State player, Friday, Oct. 31, 2014 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils beat the Rams 8-0. (Photo by Ben Moffat)

It's been an exciting week for Sun Devil hockey, but it's time to get back to business.

The No. 2 ASU hockey team (18-2) hosts Illinois (12-5) on Friday and Saturday night, and it will be the team's last home series before going on holiday break.

It all began with Tuesday's announcement that ASU will be making the move up to the NCAA level as an official University sport, playing a hybrid ACHA/NCAA schedule in 2015 and serving as an NCAA independent in 2016 before becoming a full-time member in 2017.

ASU's move, made possible by a $32 million donation by Don and Chris Mullett, will make the hockey program the 60th in the NCAA.

This season, however, remains to be played.

"We're going to have a huge target on our back," ASU coach Greg Powers said at Tuesday's announcement.

ASU's injury-plagued roster is coming off a hard-fought two-game sweep of Minot State last weekend, forcing several players into action.

One of those players was freshman defenseman Liam Pues, whom the Sun Devils called up from their Division II team for Saturday's game.

Despite going to the penalty box just seconds into his first career shift, Powers said Saturday that he was impressed in Pues's debut.

Last weekend's series also saw another first: junior defenseman Jordan Young scored for the first time this season since coming back from offseason shoulder surgery.

With so many players out due to injury, ASU has seen several guys step their game up.

Senior forward Liam Norris, one of just two fourth-year guys on the roster, has taken control of the team lead with 29 points (eight goals, 21 assists). He also has served as acting captain, with captain Brett Blomgren being out due to injury.

The Sun Devils struggled on the power play, going one for eight in odd-man opportunities Thursday and converting just once on four opportunities Friday.

ASU's opponent, the Fighting Illini, comes into this weekend with a strong résumé despite not being ranked in the ACHA Top 25.

Illinois's offensive attack is led by junior center John Olen, who has put up 18 points (ten goals, eight assists). The main distributor in the attack has been freshman right winger James McGing, whose 15 points (three goals, 12 assists) rank second on the team.

Powers has said on multiple occasions that in order to beat ASU, an opponent must have great goaltending.

In that matter, Illinois junior goaltender Joe Olen might be able to give the Sun Devils some problems. Olen has posted a 9-2 record in net this season with a .928 save percentage. He has allowed an average of 2.18 goals per game, with one shutout over his 12 appearances.

Following this weekend's series, ASU will take a week off for the Thanksgiving holiday before traveling to Tucson to face rival UA for a two-game set. After that, they go on a month-long winter break, not playing again until 2015.

No. 2 ASU will open up its two-game series against Illinois on Friday at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. Puck drop is expected for 7:30 p.m.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @fardaya15

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×