ASU soccer to host NAU in first round of NCAA tournament

Freshman defender Madison Stark slots home the winning goal inside the 18 yard box during the ASU vs Arizona soccer game on Friday, Nov. 7, 2014. Her strike helped seal a 1-0 Sun Devil victory. (Photo by Daniel Kwon)

Freshman defender Madison Stark slots home the winning goal inside the 18 yard box during the ASU vs Arizona soccer game on Friday, Nov. 7, 2014. Her strike helped seal a 1-0 Sun Devil victory. (Photo by Daniel Kwon) Freshman defender Madison Stark slots home the winning goal inside the 18 yard box during the ASU vs Arizona soccer game on Friday, Nov. 7, 2014. Her strike helped seal a 1-0 Sun Devil victory. (Photo by Daniel Kwon)

Last Friday, ASU women's soccer had a chance to do something special: clinch a berth in the postseason for the first time in two years.

Facing their rivals, the Sun Devils were able to pull out a 1-0 win that didn't guarantee them a spot in the tournament, but gave them a likely spot.

On Monday, the NCAA tournament bracket was revealed and ASU's final game victory was enough to clinch the team a berth.

The Sun Devils will host the NAU Lumberjacks in the first round of the tournament on Saturday at 7 pm.

ASU has been dominant against NAU in the past several years, beating the Lumberjacks 7-0 in 2011 and 4-0 in 2012.

The two teams scrimmaged in each of the past two seasons but official scores were not kept for either of those exhibitions.

As a conference, the Pac-12 got nine teams into the tournament, more than any of the Big 5 conferences. The SEC has eight teams.

Should ASU move on, it will face the winner of Kentucky (15-6-0) and South Illinois University Edwardsville (13-6-1).

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×