ASU, UA football neck and neck in rankings

Wide receiver Cameron Smith catches a remote pass from quarterback Taylor Kelly. ASU beat Washington State 52-31 at Sun Devil Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014. (Photo by Mario Mendez)

Wide receiver Cameron Smith catches a remote pass from quarterback Taylor Kelly. ASU beat Washington State 52-31 at Sun Devil Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014. (Photo by Mario Mendez) Wide receiver Cameron Smith catches a remote pass from quarterback Taylor Kelly. ASU beat Washington State 52-31 at Sun Devil Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 22, 2014. (Photo by Mario Mendez)

As the Sun Devils and Wildcats prepare for what might be the most important Territorial Cup game in recent memory, they are neck and neck in the AP Top 25 and USA Today Amway Coaches Poll.

The two schools hold identical rankings in both polls with UA holding a narrow lead over ASU.

The Wildcats climbed to No. 12 after beating Utah on the road this weekend. ASU, which beat Washington State in Tempe, sits just one spot behind the Wildcats at No. 13.

Both teams are chasing UCLA in the Pac-12 South and after thumping the USC Trojans in a battle for Los Angeles, the Bruins sit at No. 10 in the Coaches Poll and 9th in the AP Top 25. UCLA plays unranked Stanford on Friday; a win would clinch the division title for the Bruins while a loss would open the door for either UA or ASU to win the crown.

Oregon, easily the class of the conference, sits at No. 3 in the Coaches Poll and the AP Top 25.

AP top 10:

1. Florida State (37 first-place votes)

2. Alabama (21)

3. Oregon (2)

4. Mississippi State

5. Baylor

6. TCU

7. Ohio State

8. Georgia

9. UCLA

10. Michigan State

Coaches top 10:

1. Alabama (25 first place votes)

2. Florida State (30)

3. Oregon (6)

4. Mississippi State

5. TCU

6. Baylor

7. Ohio State

8. Michigan State

9. Georgia

10. UCLA

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×