Convincing win over Notre Dame lands ASU in top 10 of both polls

Senior defensive lineman Marcus Hardison, sophomore linebacker Viliami Latu and redshirt junior linebacker Antonio Longino celebrate after they stop Notre Dame's offensive run at a home game on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014. ASU won against Notre Dame 55-31. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

Senior defensive lineman Marcus Hardison, sophomore linebacker Viliami Latu and redshirt junior linebacker Antonio Longino celebrate after they stop Notre Dame's offensive run at a home game on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014. ASU won against Notre Dame 55-31. (Photo by Alexis Macklin) Senior defensive lineman Marcus Hardison, sophomore linebacker Viliami Latu and redshirt junior linebacker Antonio Longino celebrate after they stop Notre Dame's offensive run at a home game on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014. ASU won against Notre Dame 55-31. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

Earlier this season ASU rode an early season winning streak to as high as No. 15 in the country, only to plummet after a drubbing at the hands of UCLA. Five straight wins later, including one on the national stage against Notre Dame, and the Sun Devils find themselves No. 7 and No.8 in the AP Top 25 and Coaches Poll, respectively.

After losing to the Sun Devils, Notre Dame was the team that dropped the most spots in the Coaches Poll, falling all the way to No. 16. In the AP Top 25, Notre Dame fared only slightly better, sliding to No. 15.

The rest of the Pac-12 fared favorably this week as UCLA continued its rise and Oregon cemented itself amongst the SEC powerhouses at the top of the rankings.

UCLA rose three spots to No. 15, ahead of the Fighting Irish. In the AP Top 25, UCLA jumped four spots to No. 14.

Oregon, benefitting from Auburn's loss, moved up a spot to No. 4 in the Coaches Poll. The Ducks sit at No. 3 in the AP Top 25, behind only Mississippi State and Florida State.

Utah, losers of two straight, dropped out of the Coaches Poll entirely and barely stuck around in the AP poll, sitting at No. 25.

UA regained some composure after looking lost against the Bruins last week. The Wildcats beat Colorado by 18 and sit at No. 17 in the AP Top 25 and No. 18 in the Coaches poll.

Four of ASU's last five opponents were ranked somewhere in the Top 25 but the team will now have a breather as it takes on Oregon State and Washington State in back to back games. Oregon State is 4-5 with just one conference win and the Beavers have lost their last four games.

Washington State is 2-7 and won its last game, against Oregon State. Before that game, the Cougars had lost four in a row.

AP top 10:

1. Mississippi State (48 first-place votes)

2. Florida State (12)

3. Oregon

4. Alabama

5. TCU

6. Baylor

7. ASU

8. Ohio State

9. Auburn

10. Ole Miss

Coaches top 10:

1. Mississippi State (41 first-place votes)

2. Florida State (20)

3. Alabama

4. Oregon (1)

5. TCU

6. Baylor

7. Ohio State

8. ASU

9. Auburn

10. Ole Miss

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×