Democrat Ed Ableser defeats Independent Dale Eames in race for 26th Legislative District state senate seat

ASU alumni Ed Ableser, Andrew Sherwood and Juan Mendez speak about ASU at a meet-and-greet in Daley Park on Sept. 9, 2012. (Photo by Taylor Peterson)

ASU alumni Ed Ableser, Andrew Sherwood and Juan Mendez speak about ASU at a meet-and-greet in Daley Park on Sept. 9, 2012. (Photo by Taylor Peterson) ASU alumni Ed Ableser, Andrew Sherwood and Juan Mendez speak about ASU at a meet-and-greet in Daley Park on Sept. 9, 2012. (Photo by Taylor Peterson)

Democrat Ed Ableser was declared the winner in the 26th Legislative District race for Arizona State Senate and defeated Independent Dale Eames.

The 26th Legislative District includes parts of Mesa, south Scottsdale and Tempe, including the ASU Tempe campus.

Ableser is an ASU alumnus and a former state representative. In 2012, he defeated incumbent Republican Jerry Lewis to win the position in the state Senate.

In a 2008 Political Courage Test, Ableser said his primary legislative priorities were to increase funding to education programs while mandating that class sizes be lowered. He also said he believed Arizona should be a worldwide leader in solar power.

According to votesmart.org, Ableser has refused to provide his positions on key issues in a 2014 Political Courage test.

On his Facebook page, Eames said he believes in equal rights for all, protection of personal property, limited government and upholding the constitution.  He also said believes in high quality education and avoiding the burden of debt.

State Press reporters Kelcie Grega and Shelby Slade contributed to this article.

×