First-half recap: No. 6 ASU 24, Oregon State 14

Graphic by Evan Webeck.
Graphic by Evan Webeck.

Halftime ASU OSU

In what was widely viewed as a potential trap game for No. 6 ASU coming off a win over No. 18 Notre Dame at home last weekend, the Sun Devils came out flat against Oregon State.

ASU had three-and-outs on each of its first two drives before surrendering a 78-yard touchdown run to Oregon State running back Storm Woods that gave the Beavers the lead and the momentum.

For the rest of the first half, the Sun Devils battled to regain that momentum.

It looked as though things might start going ASU's way when Damarious Randall intercepted Sean Mannion to set up Taylor Kelly and the offense up with great field position but the offense stalled and settled for a field goal.

Despite getting on the board, ASU failed to take the wind out of Oregon State's sails and on the Beaver's next drive Terron Ward took off for a 66-yard touchdown run, putting his team up 14-3.

After Ward's touchdown run, things finally started to swing in ASU's favor.

Kelly led the offense on a ten-play, 75-yard drive that ended with a 17-yard touchdown reception by D.J. Foster. It was Foster's 11th career touchdown catch, most among active FBS running backs.

After an Oregon State punt, Kelly found tight end Kody Kohl for a 46-yard touchdown that gave the Sun Devils a 17-14 lead. Kelly's touchdown throw was the 71st of his career, making him just one of three ASU quarterbacks with more than 70.

Additionally, Kelly became just one of four Sun Devils with over 8,000 total yards in his career.

From there, the floodgates opened for ASU as the defense got into the action. With 7:04 remaining in the first half, Marcus Harrison sacked Mannion, who fumbled on the play. Antonio Longino scooped up the fumble and returned it for an easy touchdown that put ASU up 24-14.

Having scored 21 unanswered points to retake the lead, ASU would head into halftime holding an 10-point lead.

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×