Instant recap: No. 6 ASU 27, Oregon State 35

After having been tested all night long, ASU was given a chance to wrestle victory from the jaws of defeat. With all three time outs remaining, the Sun Devils got the ball back at their own 15 yard line trailing by a single point with 2:52 remaining in the game.

The Sun Devils picked up a few first downs but Taylor Kelly was intercepted by Michael Doctor who returned the turnover for a touchdown, giving Oregon State a 35-27 lead it would not surrender.

In a game that Oregon State was a heavy underdog, the Beavers refused to go away, testing the Sun Devils to the very end. The Beavers came out of halftime unwilling to say die, cutting into the Sun Devil lead and eventually taking one of their own.

Sean Mannion and the Oregon State running game put together an 11-play, 87-yard drive that ended in a touchdown pass Victor Bolden that cut the Sun Devil lead to just three points towards the end of the third quarter.

The Sun Devils would use a short field in the early stages of the fourth quarter to tack on a field goal but the Beavers would not be denied.

After ASU failed to find the end zone, Oregon State did on a 67-yard touchdown catch and run by receiver Jordan Villamin that put the Beavers up 28-27 with 11 minutes remaining.

ASU couldn't put any points on the board to answer the touchdown but a good punt pinned Oregon State at its own 1-yard line.

The Beavers proceeded to march down the field assisted by their running game and crucial penalties called against the Sun Devils. Though the drive wouldn't end in points, it ate almost six minutes off the clock.

ASU got the ball back with a chance to pull off the victory but Kelly's interception was the final blow in a game throughout which the Sun Devils were unable to capitalize and find the end zone consistently.

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×