Jordan Simone excited to face friends, old teammates against Washington State

, Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

Redshirt senior Jordan Simone rushes Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson. ASU defeated Notre Dame 55-31 at Sun Devil Stadium. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez) Redshirt senior Jordan Simone rushes Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson. ASU defeated Notre Dame 55-31 at Sun Devil Stadium. (Photo by Andrew Ybanez)

When asked about the players he still knows on Washington State, redshirt junior safety Jordan Simone began to rattle off a laundry list of names — and those just covered his "boys."

Simone transferred to ASU two seasons ago after spending a year in Pullman, Washington, as a walk-on. He walked on as ASU, too, after following defensive backs coach Chris Ball to the Valley of the Sun. But before the season began, Simone was one of five walk-ons to earn a scholarship.

After three years as mainly a special teams player, Simone has come into his own as the starting bandit safety this season. He leads the Sun Devils in tackles and coach Todd Graham said he's playing All-Pac-12 caliber football.

There is just one thing on his mind right now: #BeatWashingtonState

"Them being my former teammates, some of them I still know and am real close with," Simone said. "I talk to some of those guys every day."

He won't get the chance to face off against all of his closest Cougars friends. One, quarterback Connor Halliday, broke his ankle and is out for the season. Two more, Monroe and redshirt junior linebacker Tana Pritchard, play on defense.

The last former teammate Simone played against was Washington receiver Kasen Williams. Those two went to the same high school, Skyline in Sammammish, Washington. He got the chance to hit him, and he'll get the chance to hit some Cougars he's familiar with, too. Namely, receivers Isiah Myers and Dom Williams and running back Marcus Mason.

"Those are my solid group of friends that are still in there," Simone said. "It's gonna be fun."

Additional notes

— Simone sustained a stinger in his shoulder the last two games that forced him to miss some plays.

Against Oregon State, he missed the entire second half. He, along with redshirt sophomore linebacker Laiu Moeakiola, have practiced all week in gold limited-contact jerseys. Both, however, are expected to play.

— Redshirt junior receiver Jaelen Strong also practiced in a gold jersey Thursday. However, that is a step forward for the Biletnikoff Award semifinalist. He sat out the last two practices with a "light" concussion. He still has to pass the concussion protocol, and Graham said he's still not sure if Strong will play Saturday.

Sports reporter Chris Safran also contributed to this story.

Reach the reporter at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EvanWebeck

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×