Loss hurts ASU football in College Football Playoff rankings

Running back Deantre Lewis, left, and quarterback Mike Bercovici react during ASU's 62-27 loss to UCLA on Sept. 26. (Photo by Fabian Ardaya)

Running back Deantre Lewis, left, and quarterback Mike Bercovici react during ASU's 62-27 loss to UCLA on Sept. 26. (Photo by Fabian Ardaya) Running back Deantre Lewis, left, and quarterback Mike Bercovici react during ASU's 62-27 loss to UCLA on Sept. 26. (Photo by Fabian Ardaya)

ASU's football team suffered a gut-wrenching loss to Oregon State on Saturday, one which sent the Sun Devils tumbling to No. 13 in the College Playoff Rankings.

Heading into the game against Oregon State, ASU was one of only a few teams in the country that controlled its own destiny. After suffering it's second loss of the season, that is no longer the case.

While ASU falls in the rankings, the rest of the Pac-12 trended upward.

Oregon has established itself as one of the nation's best teams, maintaining a No. 2 ranking which puts the Ducks in prime position for a playoff spot.

Meanwhile, Pac-12 South's multitude of contenders all fared well in this week's rankings release. UCLA comes in at No. 9 followed by No. 15 UA, No. 17 Utah and No. 19 USC.

After Notre Dame dropped out of the Top 25 with its third loss, ASU has beaten two teams currently ranked: Utah and USC.

In a matchup that will have major implications on the Pac-12 South title, No. 10 UCLA will host No. 19 USC.

College Football Playoff Committee Top 10

1. Alabama

2. Oregon

3. Florida State

4. Mississippi State

5. TCU

6. Ohio State

7. Bayl0r

8. Ole Miss

9. UCLA

10. Georgia

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×