Modest Mouse's 'The Lonesome Crowded West' is worthwhile time travel

(Photo Courtesy of Up)
(Photo Courtesy of Up)

(Photo Courtesy of Up) (Photo Courtesy of Up)

Modest Mouse might not be back at it again, but on Tuesday the band reissued its classically iconic indie sound with the re-release of the 1997 album “The Lonesome Crowded West” on vinyl. Last week, on Nov. 28, the band re-released its first album, "This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About."

The 16-track record is currently on backorder to be shipped by Dec. 1, according to Glacial Pace’s ordering site offering the band's work.

The band, famously known for commercial hit “Float On,” has been credited by Rolling Stone as “one of the most unique bands of the 1990s and 2000s.”

“The Lonesome Crowded West,” though released in 1997, is still relevant to today’s music scene, helping to introduce fans to Modest Mouse’s unique indie style and signature sound.

The re-issued album is the band's second, and Rolling Stone hailed it for having “generated a buzz on the underground music scene for its dark, pessimistic lyrics centering on America's suburban underbelly, and music that jumps from angular punk to gentle, country-ish dirges."

“Jesus Christ Was An Only Child,” blends together harsh sounds with a folk fiddle twist. With rough vocals, the simplistic lyrics and acoustic backdrop could easily fit into today’s indie scene.

“Out Of Gas” perfectly summarizes '90s indie sound with octave harmonies and heavy drum and electric guitar riffs, showcasing the band's beginning and eclectic style.

“Bankrupt On Selling,” an acoustic moment on “The Lonesome Crowded West,” allows the band a moment to show off raw talent with a heavy acoustic line and poetic lyrics.

“Polar Opposites” shines on the 1997 album, showcasing the signature vocals of Isaac Brock, the band's frontman, with a hint of distortion.

While many in this generation may be a bit young to remember Modest Mouse’s beginnings and the '90s indie scene, the re-release of early music, especially in such a vintage format, allows new fans the ability to appreciate a different moment in music. Old fans can reminisce about the good old days of early '90s indie, before the onslaught of overly-corporate indie music.

This re-release was an interesting choice, and an interesting move for Modest Mouse to reenter the music scene with a much-needed throwback to the '90s.

If you don’t own a vinyl player, you can still check out the band's music and remember some of the sounds that made the '90s indie music scene great.

Tell the reporter how great the '90s were at Samantha.Shotzbarger@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @SShotzbarger

×