One tequila, two tequila, three tequila...

FOOD WBS-TEQUILA 1 DE
When you order a margarita for Cinco de Mayo, you might want to try a premium tequila. (Jarrad Henderson/Detroit Free Press/MCT)

(Photo Courtesy of Jarrad Henderson/Detroit Free Press/TNS) (Photo Courtesy of Jarrad Henderson/Detroit Free Press/TNS)

Tequila, a popular liquor made from the blue agave plant, has a signature subtly sweet yet biting taste, inspiring classic cocktails like the margarita and tequila sunrise.

Tequila comes in a number of different categories that vary in price point, but two of the most common types of tequila are silver tequila and gold tequila.

Named for their appearances, these two categories of tequila have surprisingly distinctive flavor profiles that can be used in different types of drinks to achieve the perfect tequila cocktail.

Tequila is famously included in the age-old classic — the margarita. Margaritas come in a variety of flavors ranging from sweet and tropical like mango banana and strawberry to less complicated concoctions that include strictly tequila, lime and triple sec. Blended or on the rocks, here are a few margaritas to enjoy and experiment with.

Silver Tequila

This clear, light-tasting tequila is perfect for less complicated margaritas. While Patrón makes a silver tequila that is extremely popular among the bar crowd, it is also one of the highest priced tequilas. Milagro, an emerging tequila brand, makes a silver tequila that is light and delicate, and is a cost-effective, mid-level tequila.

• Bare Naked Margarita
While margaritas can pack in calories with sugary mixers like sweet and sour, this hassle-free margarita is calorie-light, and it can be made quickly and easily with a limited number of ingredients. The smooth, light flavor of silver tequila is ideal for this stripped-down margarita, making it a perfect choice for health-conscious margarita fans.

Pour 1 ½ ounces of silver tequila in a glass with ice. Add in ½ ounces of Cointreau or a less expensive triple sec (triple sec will increase the sugar content). Squeeze in fresh lime juice from at least two limes, adding more if you enjoy a tangy taste. Add ½ ounce of orange juice and ½ ounce of agave nectar, or other sweetener of your choice, and shake in a mixing tin or larger glass approximately eight times. Garnish with a lime and salted rim.

Gold Tequila

This amber-colored tequila has a strong, spicy taste. To fans, this tequila burns in the best way, and can be added to sweet and classic margaritas to give them a little kick. While Jose Cuervo is a popular gold brand, it can be a bit harsh on tequila beginners. Sauza Tequila makes a gold that is slightly more expensive, but is significantly less harsh, making it a comparable option.

• Adios Mother Margarita
This blue-colored margarita gets its name from its inappropriately named, Long Island inspired fellow cocktail, the AMF. Not only does this margarita have an amazing translucent blue color, it tastes tropical and sweet, too. Its ocean-like hue makes it a perfect choice for a Shark Week binge or an island-themed party.

Pour 1 ½ ounces of any gold tequila into a glass over ice, ½ ounce of triple sec and ½ ounce of blue curacao. Pour 1 ounce of sweet and sour or fresh lime juice, for a lighter version. Add ½ ounce of simple syrup (or ½ cup of sugar melted into ¼ cup of water until liquefied). Mix in a shaking tin or larger glass approximately eight times. Garnish with a cherry or lime and salted or sugar rim. For island-themed parties, garnish with a Swedish Fish.

• Cadillac Margarita
While any margarita can be made into a "Cadillac Margarita” by adding ½ ounce of Grand Marnier, or any orange-flavored liqueur on the top (called a "floater"), the tangy flavor of gold tequila mixes well in classic margaritas with an orange twist. If you are afraid of the added alcohol content, just take off the floater for a perfect classic margarita, ready for blending or being served over the rocks.

Pour 1 ½ ounces of any gold tequila into a glass over ice with ½ ounce of triple sec. Pour in 1 ounce of sweet and sour or fresh-squeezed lime juice and ¾ ounce orange juice. Add ½ ounce of agave nectar or a preferred sweetener and mix in a mixing tin or larger glass approximately eight times. Pour ½ ounce of Grand Marnier, or another orange-flavored liqueur, and garnish with a fresh lime or orange slice and salted rim. For a blended version, simply pour all the ingredients except the Grand Marnier into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into the glass and float the Grand Marnier on top.

What do you like to drink? Tell the reporter at Samantha.Shotzbarger@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @SShotzbarger

×