Tempe earns a perfect score in Human Rights Campaign's Municipal Equality Index

Tempe earned a perfect 100 score on the Municipal Equality Index for demonstrating LGBT inclusiveness and equality.

Tempe employees

City of Tempe, city council, representatives of civil rights organizations, family and friends.

On a sunny Wednesday afternoon, Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell announced to the applauding and cheering crowd that Tempe had earned a perfect score of 100 points in the 2014 Municipal Equality Index.

The Municipal Equality Index is the only nationwide rating system created by the Human Rights Campaign that examines and rates the inclusion of LGBT people in municipal law, policies and services.

This year, a record number of 353 cities were ranked, placing Tempe and Phoenix among other 36 cities that received a perfect score.

“This year, with the 2014 Municipal Equality Index the City of Tempe earned a score of 100," Mitchell said. "That’s a perfect score, and we couldn’t be more proud of that number. Here in Tempe we have a long-standing commitment to diversity and inclusion.”

Tempe earned maximum points for almost all criteria in six categories, including non-discrimination laws, relationship recognition, municipality as employer, municipal services, law enforcement and relationship with LGBT community.

The city also received 18 bonus points, which could have raised the score beyond the accepted 100 point maximum.

Last year, Tempe received 72 points on the index, which wasn’t a bad score, Tempe Councilman Corey Woods said, but it certainly wasn’t enough.

“When we first learned our score in 2013, we immediately set out to understand what we needed to do to commit a real tangible improvement,” he said. “For Tempe, our council, staff and citizens, this was not about points. This was and continues to be about our commitment to all of our residents, to treat everyone equally when it comes to employment, housing or who you love.”

Woods said the perfect score became possible because of the people who live in Tempe and support the values of equality.

Earlier this year, Tempe unanimously approved an anti-discrimination ordinance to protect civil rights of LGBT people and passed proposition 475 to protect LGBT employees.

Sheila Kloefkorn, member of the national Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Board of Directors, said she prefers to live in Tempe.

Tempe's positive example is leading the state and country forward, she said.

“This is a particularly exciting day for me as a resident of Tempe to know that my city stands for diversity and inclusion and it’s providing the kind of environment that will help continue to make Tempe a world-class city,” she said. “This is truly an historic day.”

Stephanie Nowack, president and CEO of the Tempe Tourism Office, said the welcoming attitude of the city will help promote the city as a tourist destinations among LGBT people, consistent vocal advocate for equality.

“Tourism is really about inviting and welcoming guests to our home,” she said. “In this case, what we’re talking about is that our home is our city and we’re so proud to be able to say say that everybody is welcome here.”

Although the perfect score might be treated as an ending place by some communities, Tempe will continue to seek ways to improve the inclusiveness and equality for LGBT community, Mitchell said.

“We’re not going to be satisfied to rest on our laurels as we move forward,” Mitchell said. “I know that our city will continue with our partners to look for new ways to create opportunities and take down barriers for everyone, and we will need the support of our community members.”

Reach the reporter at kmaryaso@asu.edu or follow on Twitter @KseniaMaryasova

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×