Upset sends ASU football tumbling in the polls

Redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly looks down field for an open receiver in a home game against Utah on on Nov. 1, 2014. ASU defeated Utah in overtime 19-16. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

Redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly looks down field for an open receiver in a home game against Utah on on Nov. 1, 2014. ASU defeated Utah in overtime 19-16. (Photo by Alexis Macklin) Redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly looks down field for an open receiver in a home game against Utah on on Nov. 1, 2014. ASU defeated Utah in overtime 19-16. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

ASU's upset road loss to Oregon State cost it dearly as the team dropped six spots to No. 14 in the USA Today Coaches Poll and No. 13 in the AP Top 25.

The Sun Devils were in prime position to control their own destiny for a berth in the playoff but a stunning upset at the hands of the Beavers will likely end those hopes.

Now, ASU is not only likely eliminated from playoff contention but the team is now looking up at Pac-12 South rivals that could keep the team out of the Pac-12 title game.

Oregon is still the highest ranked Pac-12 team, coming in at No. 3 in the Coaches Poll and the AP Top 25 but UCLA and UA are both rising.

Both the Bruins and Wildcats passed the Sun Devils in the polls as UCLA checked in at No. 12 in the Coaches Poll and UA came in at No. 13.

In the AP Top 25, the teams fared just as well, rising to No. 11 and No. 15 respectively.

The Pac-12 also had two teams in the lower portion of the polls with Utah coming in at No. 21 and USC at No. 24 in the Coaches Poll. Utah was slightly higher in the AP Top 25, at No. 20 and USC sat in the same No. 24 spot.

Notre Dame, a team that was ranked in the Top 10 when ASU beat them at home, did the Sun Devils no favors as a second-straight loss, this one to unranked Northwestern, dropped the Fighting Irish out of the polls entirely.

AP top 10:

1. Florida State (43 first-place votes)

2. Alabama (16)

3. Oregon (1)

4. Mississippi State

5. TCU

6. Baylor

7. Ohio State

8. Ole Miss

9. Georgia

10. Michigan State

Coaches top 10:

1. Florida State (39 first-place votes)

2. Alabama (17)

3. Oregon (6)

4. Mississippi State

5. TCU

6. Baylor

7. Ohio State

8. Ole Miss

9. Michigan State

10. Georgia

Reach the sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @ICBeck21

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×